Chapter 20

August 16th
22:56
Blüdhaven

An anonymous text had summoned the young ward to a shady warehouse in the even shadier city of Blüdhaven. The sister city had crime rates nearly as high as Gotham itself. Every person was either drunk or high or crying. Dirty children gathered together in alleyways. Homeless people eyed her suspiciously. Her hands reached to get pocket for her butterfly knife.

A cab had dropped her off a few blocks away as per the instructions of the text message. She double-checked the message she had received yesterday.

From: Unkown
Hello Parker. I believe it is high time we meet, don't you? Come tomorrow at 11:00PM to the Warehouse on Fifth Street in Blüdhaven. I cannot hold a meeting in Gotham. You-know-who would find out, wouldn't he? I swear I mean no harm. I simply have a proposition for you. Consider your options carefully. Come alone and tell no one. Have a cab driver drop you off at the corner of Fifteenth and Seventeenth. The fee is $20.37 if your starting point is in front of Wayne Enterprises. If that is an issue, I will be happy to repay you upon your arrival. I will be waiting.

Of course, curiosity had gotten he best of her. Whoever it was definitely knew who she was, and they made it seem like they knew Bruce was Batman. The eskrima sticks were hidden up her sleeves, the ones that extended into staffs. She would be able to defend herself if this meeting resulted in a fight.

The warehouse appeared from behind a building. Her eyes scanned the perimeter carefully, searching for signs of hostility. There was no movement. She looked around for an entrance, and a side door caught her attention. Walking slowly up to it, she opened the apparently unlocked door. Entering the dark building, she pulled a small flashlight out of her other pocket.

To her left was a lever labeled 'Lights'. She pulled it down, light filling the room. The area remained dim, but the need for a flashlight had disappeared. She walked silently, hoping to hear the secret messenger before they could sneak up on her.

No such luck.

"Hello, my dear." A strange, wise voice came behind her.

She spun around quickly. In front of her stood a man dressed in traditional green robes. "Ra's al Ghul," He understood.

"Miss Parker," He acknowledged. "I hope I did not frighten you with this location."

Her head shook defiantly. "You were right: we could not meet in Gotham without alerting someone. Why have you called me here?" Her face displayed nothing other than annoyance.

"Is meeting once without combat a sin?" He asking innocently.

Parker shrugged. "Depends on the motivation."

The Demon acknowledged the truth in her statement. "Indeed. I see you take after the detective like the little bird."

"In more ways that one." She admitted, pulling out one of her eskrima sticks and taking a defensive stance. Her stick extended into a staff, which was easier to handle for unarmed assailants.

Ra's al Ghul smirked. He seemed to find the gesture beneath him, as if he did not care. "As I said, there is not need for violence. I am unarmed and the only other person in the building is yourself."

She did not put the weapon away, but she lowered it. "Why should I trust you?"

"I am many things, my child," he said sincerely. "But a liar is not among them."