Chapter 16

"How in the hell are we gonna get Gabie back?" I asked worriedly as we both were pacing back and forth in the living room. Even though Gabie lied to me and she didn't even went to visit me, she was still my mother, my blood and every ounce in me told me to rescue her no matter what cost.

Suddenly Nate stopped dead in his tracks as he slowly turned to me, he had a wicked smile on his face which scared me like a lot. "My love, you are forgetting who I am... I am Nathaniel Stark. Alpha of the Elite Pack, the strongest pack in America," he said with pride. I believed him but somehow I was worried that we won't be able to make it on time, they might have killed Gabie already and the thought of it scared the hell out of me. Nate stood there waiting for my reply, I smiled and shrugged my shoulders saying "Show me what you can do," And with those words Nate dashed to the phone and dialed a number;

"Hello, Jane?" he asked, "Yeah, yeah, we are fine. The moonlight pack kidnapped Gabie," he said, "Yeah, I know. Get ready. We have to get her back," he said with a dark look that can make you tremble to your very core not in pleasure or joy but more in fear.

We then quickly ran to our room to pack our stuff-- so much for our first date. It just had to be ruined by Nikki and Mason the two people who I loathed at the moment and maybe forever will. "Get the stuff ready while I go get the car ready," he said as he took a pile of pillows and blankets with him. I nodded my head and as he left the room I was packing his clothes but as I threw one of his shoes in his bag something hit it hard. Me being the curious one peered into his bag and saw a very small box, it was color red and had a rolled up paper tied to it.

My eyebrow shot up in curiosity wondering what could it be? Duh! It was a ring but who was it for? Me? His future mate? I looked behind and peeked my head out the door seeing Nate was still outside. I quickly then opened the letter and I recognize that it was his hand writing;

Dear Nikki Hale,

I want to express how much you make me happy and how much I want you in my life.

We have been together for a very long time and I thought to myself, why not take the next step?

I love you with all my heart and will not care for my mate if I ever find her because as of now you own my heart. I will protect you with my life and will never stop caring for you no matter what. So will you do me the honors of being my lovely Luna?

Yours forever,

Nathaniel Stark

I was frozen in place and did not know how I should feel about this. Should I just let it go since it's the past or ask him why didn't he tell me that he was planning on marrying Nikki? Someone who is trying to kill me at the moment. My own sister--half sister.

I then looked around and I just realize that I was in Nikki's house so somewhere in this house is her room. I quickly went out to the small hallway and checked one room which was right in front of mine but saw a very neat and clean room that had many books. I guessed it was Gabie's room then I took the door next to Gabie's room, and as I opened the door I knew right there that it was Nikki's room since it was decorated in red and had a very girly comforter sitting on the bed. I then took a step in and turned on the lights and what I saw didn't help.

Over on the wall was a huge mirror with many pictures, as I took small steps to get a better look my heart just crushed into pieces like it was an old leaf. All the pictures were Nikki and Nate, doing very sweet and romantic things together. Like having prom together and some other things that I will never get to do with Nate. I felt my heart crushed even more because the only reason why Nate was here with me was because we were Mates and not Love which made me feel very lonely.

"Skye!?" Nate called out from the hall but I didn't need him to confirm if it was true about him and Nikki because evidence was right in front of me and in my hand. Still holding the box, I slowly opened it and it revealed a very beautiful ring. A tear fell from my face knowing I could never have something that Nikki will always have, his love.

"Skye!?" he called out again, I turned around slowly and saw him standing at the door frame with a shock expression and I looked at him with my teary eyes. "You loved her didn't you?" I asked. "Skye that was before I--" but I cut him off by yelling, "Don't lie Nate!! I am sick and tired of being lied to!! First my dad then Gabie, next is you? The most important people in my life!" Tears were falling down my face uncontrollably. My emotions were taking over but all the emotion I felt was anger and pure sadness. "You were gonna propose to her and you didn't even tell me?" I asked Nate just stood there not saying anything. My heart was breaking each minute. I threw the small box at him and hissed "Once we arrive in my territory I will return to my regular life and live it as if I have no mate at all," I was a bit too harsh but too many people were lying to me and I thought that Nate understood my pain but apparently he doesn't.

"Yes, I love her! But not as much as I love you Skye," he said at first his voice was loud but as he told me that he loved me his voice became soft. My teary eyes tiredly looked at him "No you don't, you think you do but that is the bond of our mates telling you that... not you. You have known Nikki all your life and you loved her even though you weren't mates," I said this time he didn't say anything he knew I was right. I rolled my eyes and walked back to my room grabbed my bag and started walking out of the house not daring to look back.

I sat in the passenger seat, waiting for Nate to come and drive me back home it may not be where I belong but it's somewhere I felt normal. I just have to deal with Mason's flirtatious attempts, Nikki's presence, and Chloe's death threats. I sighed to myself knowing that going to Brazil was useless if everything was gonna go back to normal except Mason would be a total douche who keeps flirting with me and I have a sister who is currently dating my 'supposed' to be mate.

Suddenly Nate got inside the car and without saying any words he started up the car and drove off to the direction of my territory.

with a broken heart I shall return home strong.

I will not be the sad little Skye I once was,

this time if someone makes me feel small or worthless

they shall pay.