Prologue

PROLOGUE

Kathryn's POV

“Marry me,” he says. And just like that my eyes immediately widen and my mouth runs dry.

What the hell is wrong with this guy? We just met last month… I’ve only seen him for 7 of those 21 days. And 14 of those days were spent 3,471 miles apart. Why in the world would he ask me to marry him… again?

Yes, I did say again. I don’t really remember the first time he proposed… or if he proposed at all. But since we were married for all but 7 days, I’m assuming he must have asked me to marry him somehow.

This. Is. CRAZY. Is he high? Maybe he's drunk... But he looks perfectly sober and maybe a little dreamy. No, Kat! Stop right there. He is not dreamy. Behind that perfectly toned body, luscious dirty blonde locks, and deep blue eyes is a cocky, arrogant, narcissistic being. Any female with eyes could easily see that he is gorgeous physically but once you get past his looks you'll realize he's just not so gorgeous.

Why is he asking me to marry him again? Hasn’t he had enough? We hate each other. For those 7 days that we were married, all we did was fight and make each other’s lives hell.

All of this may sound confusing, so I guess I’ll just start from the beginning...

21 days ago, my best friend Alex, who also happens to be my best friend, and I got a chance to go to Las Vegas for work. We work for this women’s magazine called Dazzle and our boss is sending Alex and I to Vegas for a couple of conferences and we are beyond excited. We’ve been working at Dazzle for 2 years now and neither of us has had a vacation yet. This trip to Vegas was meant for work but we were definitely going to try to squeeze in some vacation-like fun.

So, we packed and hailed a cab to JFK airport to catch our 6pm to Las Vegas. Other than the dirty blonde jerk that cut in front of us at luggage check in, getting to Vegas was really pleasant.

Even though it was a long 6-hour flight, Alex and I were ready to start our so-called work as soon as possible. So once we landed we headed to Aria, which was where we were staying for the next 7 days.

I guess we were a bit too excited about finally having some much-needed fun that we went all out when we got to the club. AND that’s where it all began…

MONDAY 2:00pm

“Morning sleeping beauty!” Alex chirped from her bed.

I groaned and pulled the very plush comforter over my head, “Too early, Alex.”

She got up and shook me, “It’s 2 in the afternoon Kathryn Anne Stratford! I am not going to let you sleep your way through our vacation! Now get up, missy!”

She pulled the blanket off me and I quickly sat up and glared at her. I am definitely not a morning person. I live for the nightlife. “First of all, we are not on vacation! We’re here for work. And second, don’t call me by my whole name, you sound like my mom. And third, don’t call me missy, I’m 23 years old for God’s sake”

She chuckled and sat next to me as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. “I’d hardly call it work. We have seven days in Sin City and only two one-hour conferences. I’d say we’re on vacation.”

“You’re right” I admit. “What do we do first?!” I say excitedly. Even though I was a little irritated she woke me up, I couldn't help but feel a bubble of excitement in the pit of my stomach. I mean, we're in Las freaking Vegas! We could gamble, go clubbing, eat at those famous buffets, or maybe do some shopping. There were so many things to do here! 

“Hmmm… I’m thinking we get some breakfast downstairs and maybe hit the pool?” she suggested.

“I like it,” I smile and we high five. What? Grown women can high five. We’re both smiling until we both notice the massive rock on the ring finger of my left hand, accompanied by what looks like a wedding band.

“Ohmygod, it’s huge!” she squeals and practically pulls me by my left hand. She brings my hand up to her face to thoroughly inspect the two sparkly objects around my finger. She’s so enamored by the rings that she forgets about what this means.

“Um, Alex.” My shock doesn’t faze her, she is clearly captivated by it’s shine. “Alex!” Her head shoots up and she looks lost. “You do know what this means, right?”

“What?” she asks stupidly

“Um, hello! Engagement ring… wedding band! I’m married! What the hell happened last night?!?!”

“Oh shit. I have no clue, Kat. I honestly didn’t even try to remember what happened last night. You don’t remember anything?”

“No! The last thing I remember is taking shots at the bar, but after that… nothing! I can’t remember anything!” I panic, “Oh my god. What the hell happened? I can’t be married. Who would I marry? Oh my god, Alex! What happened?!?!”

“Kat!” she yelled “Calm down!”

“I can’t! I’m someone’s wife!”

She looked at me for a moment before she said, “We don’t know that.” I gave her a look, “Now, hold on. I know how this must look.”

“Like I’m married?”

“Hear me out. You have an engagement ring and a wedding band on your finger, but no man. You woke up fully clothed in your own bed in your own hotel room. I’m here, so we clearly went home together and we got here safely.”

“So?”

“So if you are married wouldn’t you wake up in bed with your supposed husband? And not in your own bed alone and with me?”

She does make some sense. I mean, if I did get married I would’ve at least woken up to the guy I married right? When you hear about people accidentally getting married they usually end up sleeping together and waking up the next morning naked and in bed… together.

“Okay, but how do you explain the rings?” I ask

She shrugs, “I don’t know… maybe some guy did propose and gave you those rings?”

“What guy, in his right mind, would give a girl he barely knows rings like these? I mean, these rings together must have cost 50 grand at least.”

“You’re a lucky girl?” she says trying to convince me that I’m not married. But all of this seems too strange. I’m so confused. I think I’m married but then I don’t. I’m so unsure about what could be but there just isn’t enough evidence for me to decide what happened. But right now, me being married is something that I can’t even wrap my brain around. The guy I marry has to be perfect and I couldn’t have possibly found the perfect guy in one night.