Nectar of the Gods 2

When they got back to Julia's house he helped her take her coat off and then followed her up to her room. A smile played at the edges of her lips as they sat on the window seat facing each other. It was the first time she had a boy, other than Ren or Kuro, in her room. And they didn't count, because she had never looked at either of them as anything other than friends.

Silence stretched out between them as she gazed at him. The overwhelming feeling that she was deeply connected to him washed over her again. Julia reached out and ran her fingers through his hair. Damien didn't stop her as she traced her fingers over his pointy ears. His eyes flickered closed for a moment a wave of déjà vu hit her.

When he opened them again, they drew her to him like a moth to a flame. She wanted to reach up and pull his face to hers and kiss him. A lamenting voice called out inside of her, don't do it. Not again. Pain and regret knotted in her heart, halting Julia dead in her tracks. Once again Alex's face surfaced in her mind.

Before she could act, Damien looked away, breaking the moment. Julia wanted to scream in frustration as she backed away from Damien. He was everything she could've ever wanted and more and she could tell he liked her. Yet an overwhelming need just to be friends stopped her from taking anything further.

Julia blushed and cringed inwardly at the awkward tension she felt between them. She pulled her knees into her chest and launched into her family story. "I don't know anything about my dad. My mom met him when she was travelling and they fell in love; it was a whirlwind romance. When she found out she was pregnant with me she told him everything and he freaked out and left her.

"Not having any place to go to because her family shunned her for falling in love with him she came to Havenswood. This place is like a refuge for half-bloods and other supernaturals that don't want to live with their own kind. Because my mother is a powerful witch and the family line we come from, Havenswood welcomed her. She has always been crazy over protective. I think she thinks I will run out on her just like my dad."

Damien gave her an understanding look and rubbed her arm. "And do you plan on running away?"

She sighed, longing to be back in Europe or anywhere else other than Havenswood. Her trip opened her eyes to the vast and wonderful world, both human and supernatural that she'd been shielded from. Until now Julia had been okay with staying in the tiny town for the sake of her mother.

But that summer's trip changed everything. She got to meet tons of new people that welcomed her and were nice to her. Seeing the huge supernatural cities completely hidden from the human eye had left her with a deep longing to return to them. She had such a driving need to explore everything that the supernatural world offered. It hurt to be trapped in this boring tiny town where nothing happened or changed.

"I want to see the world. Ren has even promised to take me to Arcadia after we graduate. But no, I'm not going to run away. I'm just going to spread my wings and explore before I decide what to do. I don't think that's asking too much do you?"

"No. It's natural to want to go out and live your own life."

Julia smiled and grabbed his hand. There was something so familiar and comforting about him, just like Alex. The only difference was Damien felt like a comfortable pair of shoes, whereas Alex felt like a part of her that had been missing. "Okay, now your turn."

Damien looked out the window and grinned, lacing his fingers in hers. She forced all thought of Alex out of her mind and let Damien pull her closer to him, positioning her in-between his legs. Julia tucked her left leg under her and let her right dangle over the edge brushing up against his.

He used his free hand and ran his fingers through her tawny hair. "As you know I'm a pureblood. I come from one of the three royal clans: the Mietitores, which rule the southern lands in Europe. The Griffemorts are another and they rule the central lands and the Víðarr are the last and they rule the north. But unlike the other two clans, the Mietitores don't like the politics of dark faerie society. We try to stay out of the endless power struggles of the upper and lower clans."