Chapter 11

"Come on Kailee cheer up," Doug urges. I shake my head covering my ears with my hands. While Tourney is one of my favorite sports the games are really loud. "No, I want daddy," I pout crossing my arms. "You can talk to him after the game," he assures before continuing to play his his trumpet in tune with the band. "No he won't," I mutter under my breathe.

Every since he ate that cookie early today he's been acting funny. I look through the crowd of cheering students to see, Evie and Lonnie trying to get Mal to cheer. I get up from my seat and weave my way through the cheering student body over to the girls.

"Hey guys," I greet glumly. "Hey there Kailee," Mal greets ruffling my golden hair. "Oh Mal, there putting Jay in." Evie cheers, I perk up a little bit. I missed the tourney practice where Jay dominated the field. I think watching Jay take down our school's rival will cheer me up.

"I can't see," I say tugging on Evie's dress. She reaches down and picks me up. "Better?" She asks, I just nod. I'm still tired from staying up all night, I'm never eating sugar before bed again.

I watch as Jay and Carlos head out on to the field. "He's bringing that hothead Jay in from the Isle of the Lost and that little guy Carlos can barely hold a shield." The announcer says over the speaker. I cover my ears again, I'm not the biggest fan of loud noises. Normally I have noise cancelling headphones but daddy's been distracted and forgot to give them to me.

"When they break from their huddles, this gonna be a big moment here. And the tipoff is ready." Jay charges to the center of the field getting the ball before the opposing player. "Go Jay!" I cheer still keeping my ears covered.

Jay passes to daddy. Carlos trips an opposing player then does a dorky little victory dance. Jay gets the ball back and the heads for the goal. He maneuvers through the dragon fire. "Jay makes a nice pass to Prince Ben through the kill zone." Chad rams one of the other players sending him to the ground.

"Prince Ben moves over wide, gives it back to Jay. He's in the clear! Shot!" The crowd cheers louder in anticipation. "Oh, what a save by Philip the Falcons' goalkeeper." The entire student body sighs. We were so close to beating our rivals.

"23 seconds left. You could cut the tension with a sword. The long ball is played into Jay. Jay, great jump, great leap.  And great move by Jay. Big block from Chad. Jay dishes of to Prince Ben." The announcer says, does this guy ever run out of breath?

"And then Carlos with a big block, goes down. Jay through the kill  zone, picks up Carlos. Oh, he's being hammered by dragon fire. Still, going on." Jay hurdles through some of the fire while Carlos blocks the rest with his shield. "Yeah Carwos!" I cheer. Evie and Mal laugh at my mispronunciation.

Carlos bends down so that Jay can jump over him. "He passes to Prince Ben. He scores!" The crowd goes crazy, we finally beat our rivals. "Yay daddy!" I squeal hugging Evie around the neck.

"Prince Ben has won it! What an unselfish play by Jay!" The announcer starts. "And it's the new guys, Jay and Carlos, who set up the prince for the win here," he continues. "What a victory! An absolutely wonderful end to one of the best games ever." Okay I think he's just droning on. "Here they come, folks. The winners of the first tourn--" Daddy steps up and swipes the mic.

"Excuse me. Excuse me. Can I have your attention, please?" He asks, everyone falls silent. "Daddy!" I yell out some students look at me and smile, daddy ignores me again. "There's something I'd like to say." He steps onto the shooter post forcing number forty-one off.

He looks around cluelessly for a couple of minutes. "Give me an 'M'!" He shouts making what I'm guessing is an M with his arms. "M!" Everyone repeats mimicking his motions excluding Mal, Evie and I. I'm only three I don't know how to spell, I don't even know my apgs.