11 | The Party (Part II)

*A few hours beforehand*

T A Y L O R S  P.O.V

Evening. Friday, February 8th, 2014  

Sweat beads trickled down my forehead as my eyes darted around Lyra's backyard. It's been exactly one hour, ten minutes and thirty-seven seconds since Bella, Darko and I got here; One hour of my life I'm never getting back ever again.

I leant on a thick pole in the back of Lyra's garden. The strobe lights flashed brightly in my eyes, the music was tasteless, and there were so many people I didn't know. An overpowering scent of sweat, alcohol and vomit permeated the air, making my nose curl. From where I'm standing, I can see only a handful of familiar faces; Darko was getting a few drinks with Bella, and Lyra was greeting her guests. I drummed my fingers on my thigh as I nervously waited for my friends to return.

"Hey," Bella said, two cups in her hands, "I got us some beer."

I reluctantly took the cup from her, before peeking over her shoulder. I narrowed my eyes as I scanned the backyard.

"Where's Darko?" I asked. Bella glanced behind herself before shrugging.

"Well, he was behind me," she said casually, "Maybe he went off to dance. I don't know."

I had nodded before I scanned the dance floor. Darko's face was swallowed by the enormous group of unfamiliars swaying and bobbing to the repetitive beat the DJ was blaring. He's disappeared, without a single trace.

"Well? Are you going to drink?" Bella asked, gesturing to my cup, snapping me out of my musings. I glanced at it.

I really shouldn't be drinking this, but everything in the universe was telling me that I should. Lyra told me to, Bella told me to; heck, even Ana told me to. All I could see when I glanced down at the cup was my mother's face. That exact face she made when she thought I was Dad.

"I... I don't know..." I said, trailing off. Bella frowned slightly, before downing her drink.

"Don't forget about the plan, Tay," Bella said. I looked up at her.

"Speaking of," I said, narrowing my eyes slightly, "can you finally tell me every single detail of the plan?"

"I will," Bella began, "if you just drink the damn beer."

I sighed, before looking at the cup again.

I don't want to stoop to my mother's level, but I want to know Bella's plan.

'It's just one drink,' I kept reassuring myself, 'It's just one drink. You will be all right.'

I lifted the cup to my lips and chugged. The icy liquid burned against my throat, making my face twist with disgust. It was as bitter as the sun is bright. Why do people enjoy this?

"Yuck," I managed to say, hastily wiping my lips. Bella chuckled. I was about to dry-heave, but she placed her hand on my shoulder.

"See? That wasn't so bad. Good boy." She said almost patronisingly. I grimaced at her, the aftertaste of the beer stinging my tongue.