10 | The Party (Part I)

D A R K O 'S P.O.V

Evening. Friday, February 8th, 2014

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?!" Lyra exclaimed, shouting over the music which was blaring on enormous speakers. She cupped her hands behind her ears, absentmindedly bobbing her tiny body to the booming music as she talked to me. I sighed.

Bella, Taylor and I had gotten to the party a few hours ago - somehow between then and now, I ended up separated from them. I went to look for them, but Lyra intercepted and dragged me onto the dance floor instead, where a swarm of tipsy teenagers were dancing. Strobe lights obscured my vision while the heavy trap music deafened me. Several sticky elbows kept bumping into me as the beat quickened. It didn't help that I was already buzzed.

"I SAID, HAVE YOU SEEN TAYLOR AND BELLA?" I yelled. Lyra, finally understanding what I had said, shook her head. She pointed to the living room, where the other jocks and cheerleaders were congregating.

"TRY ASKING THE JOCKS! THEY HAVE EYES AND EARS EVERYWHERE!" Lyra shouted, smiling.

"ALL RIGHT, THANKS! GREAT PARTY BY THE WAY!" I responded. Lyra shouted 'THANKS!' before turning around to grind on another partygoer.

If there's one thing Lyra can do, it's dance like a stripper. It's like she was born to do it.

I shoved my way through the crowd, being careful to not get the sticky sweat from others on me. The combination of a crowded dance floor and very humid weather meant for a horrifically steamy, sweaty atmosphere. No wonder the jocks were inside - they'd be roasting under their varsity jackets.

I wiggled through the glass door that lead inside Lyra's house and was immediately greeted by the football team. Two of them, Michael and David, were chatting while taking long sips from their beers. Another one, Owen, was on his phone, and another two, Trent and Duncan, were smoking. I cautiously approached them.

I swear these guys haven't got a brain in their heads. Take Michael and David for example; they are as dumb as a box of rocks, not to mention they are incredibly irritating. For example, David breathes really, really loudly and Michael is the most conceited person I know. They're insane.

All right, breathing too loud might not sound that bad, but trust me. He sounds like a broken bagpipe sometimes. It gets unbearable.

Owen is a puzzle wrapped in an enigma. Nobody knows who he really is; apart from his name, all people know is that he's constantly on his phone, calling or texting somebody. I've heard rumours that he's a spy.

Trent, Duncan and I have a history together. We've gotten into fights, mostly because Trent's an insensitive idiot, and Duncan blindly follows him. Trent is a known homophobe in the school; he's always making remarks about gay guys being the scum and filth of the Earth. Needless to say, his bigotry has earned him a few punches to the face. He doesn't like me and I really don't like him.

Duncan has a criminal record; he's been known to set things on fire, beat people to a pulp, and be proficient with a switchblade. It's unclear how Duncan even made the school's football team - people say he threatened to stab the coach or burn his house down.

"Guys," I said flatly. Michael, Trent, Duncan and David all turned to me. Owen glanced up at me, but I didn't hold his attention for long.