13 | Playground

D A R K O 'S P.O.V

Midnight. Friday, February 8th, 2014

That's what their secret must have been.

I fucking KNEW they were interested in each other. I fucking knew it. No wonder they wouldn't stop giggling in biology. It was all just a complicated plan so they can hook up!

I ran out of the bedroom, my tears hot as they fell on my reddening face. I ran to where I last saw Stefan, not caring about the people I've shoved past or the strange looks I was getting. After a few minutes of searching, I found him talking to Lyra in a quiet corner.

"Stefan, we need to go, now," I said, not caring whether either of them saw my tears. Stefan did a double take at me, wiped my cheeks and asked what was wrong. I ignored his questions and grabbed his wrist, yanking him away from Lyra. He hastily waved goodbye as I dragged him out of the house.

"Where is your car?" I cried out. He pointed to a few houses away from Lyra's house before tossing me the keys.

"Go unlock it. I need to go say goodbye to Lyra first."

I nodded. Snatching the keys out of the air, I rushed to his car. I crashed into the passenger seat, leaning forward to shove the key in the ignition.

I sat there, wiping away the stray tears that Stefan missed. After a few moments, Stefan reappeared and sat in the driver's seat, seemingly at a loss for words.

"You mind telling me what happened?" He finally said. I shook my head

"Just drive."

"No," he said, turning the car off. "Tell me what's wrong! You can't just yank me out of a conversation with a girl I'm interested in and not tell me why!"

"Stefan," I said, my voice crackling, "please, just trust me."

He leaned back in his chair, running his fingers through his chocolate hair. "I'll drive, but you need to tell me what happened when we get home, okay?"

I shook my head. "I can't do that."

"Why can't you tell me?!"

"BECAUSE I DON'T WANT YOU TO HATE ME!"

He sat there, slack-jawed. "Darko, you are my little brother. I can never hate you."

I can't tell him. He's too homophobic. I'm so worried that if I say something now, he would throw me out of the car and drive home to tell dad everything.

"Just trust me. Please, just drive. I'll tell you when I want to."

Stefan sighed, defeated. "Fine."

Thank god he's given up. Thank God.

Stefan pulled away from the kerb and began driving. He flicked on the radio, a strange mellow melody filling the air in the car. He hummed along while I leaned my head on the car door, facing out the window. After a few traffic lights, he spoke.

"Would you like to hear a distraction? Something to keep you entertained for a few minutes?"

I turned to face him. "Like what?"

"My love life with Lyra, which you might have ruined, by the way."

I shrugged. "Whatever, sure."

Stefan smirked. "She was really beautiful, man. Looks aside, she is one of the sweetest, happiest girls I've met in a long time."

'Yeah, probably because she was drunk and high,' I thought to myself.