Chapter 15

"Darling! Dear God, you look a bit rattled!" Mum gasped as my sister dropped her shopping bags over the sofa.

"Well, and I am!" My sister tossed, as she combed her long hair with her fingers "Apparently we have a celebrity hiding inside the house."

"Hey yourself." I sneered "Speaking of hiding, I should go home."

"Miss Summers, we should wait for further instructions" Tyler winced, his light blue eyes were apologetic.

I nodded and felt all the weight of the world drop on my shoulders.

"Oh! You brought the magazines!" Mum shrieked as my sister dropped a whole bunch of wedding magazines on the sofa beside her.

"And I've narrowed down to mermaid style." Amanda grinned happily, opening one of the thick magazines, making Mum gasp as she showed her some of her choices "I love this one. Pure Irish lace."

"My God, this is very expensive, Amanda!" Mum gasped.

"Are you sure Nick, the slime, will be able to pay for it?" Da asked, not even giving my sister the politeness to look up.

I chocked on my butter finger and mumbled a thanks to Aunt Doris as she patted my back. I caught Tyler's mouth corner go up a bit, as he looked outside the house, pretending not to listen to the conversation.

"Da!" Amanda whined, blushing with embarrassment "For Heaven's sake, Da, Nick's my fiancée! The way you talk about him hurts me."

"You're a thirty two year old woman, Amanda. Man up" Da tossed her with a snort.

"Anyway." My sister tossed, embarrassed and annoyed "Nick does have the money, Da, don't worry."

"Oh, I don't." Da nodded sternly "I'm sure Mr. Construction Hotshot is doing very well."

Amanda pressed her lips tight and if I didn't know any better, my sister took Da's words right to the core.

"Why don't we go to the kitchen and have a look at all these beautiful gowns?" Mum asked, getting up and gathering all the magazines in her arms.

Tyler came from the door and helped them both take the stuff to the kitchen counter. I took the time to get my phone and ring Charlie. I know I should wait for 'further instructions', but the difference between Tyler and I was that he was Charlie's employer, while I was his... something else.

After four rings, he picked up.

"Sorry if I'm interrupting something" I mumbled as soon as he greeted.

"It's ok. I've just been busy with all the... huh... latest developments" He sighed.

"Sorry about Da." I winced, turning into the hallway next to the kitchen so Tyler wouldn't catch me going against his advice "He was just angry and worried about me."

"I know that, but what he did was really reckless." Charlie sighed; I heard some background talk "I'll see what I can do about it. How are you doing?"

"Ok." I sighed; Tyler came from the kitchen archway and raised a brow at me, making me wince and mouth an 'I'm sorry' "I'm fine. I'm still at my parents. I wanna go home, Charlie."

"Wait just a little longer." He asked, and I heard another voice in the background calling him "I'm going, dad. Sorry, Alice. I need to go back to the office. Duty calls. I'll ring you later."

"Charlie, wait-" I started, but he disconnected before I could say anything more "Great. Now he's mad at me."

"He's not mad at you, Miss Summers." Tyler assured me with his comprehensive blue eyes "He just has a lot on his plate, right now."