1

I sat in my room, looking out the cracked window at the outside world. It wasn't safe out there, I've seen people die. Shot, stabbed, beat. You name it, it happened.

I didn't belong here. No one here was nice, no one was.. Sane. The man who had 'raised' me, he led them. He was a cruel, unfair, and unjust leader. I am the youngest. One of the few successful births since the Fall.

I put my hand on the window, "One day I'll escape. One day soon," I pressed my head against it, "I'll find you."

"Koni!"

"What?!" I shouted at the annoying voice that rang through my ageing door.

      "Dinner, sweetie.."

      I brought a fist on the wall, "Leave it by the door, mother."

      "Don't you think it's time to come down?"

      "It's not."

      "Are you sure, sweetie?"

      "I'm sure!"

      I heard her walk away and waited a little while before standing to get the food.

      "Carrots, a tomatoe, and half of a potato," I grimaced, "Thanks.. Capri."

I really did absolutely despise that woman. Sure, she gave birth to me and all, but she has never, ever told me who my real father is. I knew that Jace was not my father.

I had bright blue eyes, he had grey. I had brown hair, he had black. He wasn't my father. Not a chance. He and Capri were not a good mix. 2 negatives do not make a positive.

      I finished my 'dinner', pulled on a blue males tank top and layed in my sleeping bag. I pulled the only gift I had ever been given, a blue stuffed elephant, close to my body. It was given to me by a girl who came to visit my group 4 years ago, but I met her before she visited. I haven't seen her since. She was a sweet little kid. A little older than me.

      I walked down the street with 2 older kids, and Jace followed far behind. We were at a park. There were people here, they all looked.. Happy.

      The two kids kept making fun of me. I wasn't going to let them know they were hurting my feelings, I was old enough to know that in this world, feelings don't matter. I wasn't old enough to know that I lacked a real dad, I would have wanted to look sooner.

      Jace called them as we turned a corner, as soon as they began heading back, I sprinted. I ran as fast as my young legs would take me. I eventually tripped over a stick and found myself at a pavillion.

      A girl sat on a bench, doing something that I'd never seen. I fell with a loud thud when I tripped and she looked over at me. She stood up and rushed over to help me up.

      She walked me over to the bench where she sat me down, "My mom told me not to trust anyone. And that I should run away."

      "So why aren't you?" She asked me calmly.

      "You're my age. I'm 10, almost 11. I don't wanna hurt anyone, and most kids think alike, right?"

      "Have you ever met another kid?"

      I looked into her emerald green eyes, before looking at the ground with a frown, "No."

      "It's okay. You can trust me. I'm a Northerner."

      "My dad leads the Southerners."

      A look crossed her face that I couldn't read, "You don't belong there."

      "Why not?"

      "I-It's a long story.. What's your name?"

      "K-Konida.." I smiled at the girl, "What's yours?"

      "Ivris," she frowned at her name.

      "That's a pretty name, don't you like it?"

      "I don't like its origin."

      "Can you tell me it?" I smiled, truly curious.

      "My mom and my dad.. When they were together, they decided to name me after their names. But they split, he comes over every Sunday. He's a very important figure in my life. My mom says I have his eyes."

      "Why did they split? Aren't moms and dads supposed to stay together?"

      "She stopped loving him. Because sometimes, you put so much time into someone that you either get tired of them or they get tired of you and leave you with nothing."

      "That's not true."

      "How do y-."

      "You don't stop loving things, Ivris, love isn't a feeling that comes naturally. Sometimes you need to work for it to keep it going," I smiled at her, "A nice girl in my group told me that."

      "You really don't belong in the Southerners," she brushed my brown hair behind my ear, "you're a Northerner at heart."

      "Konida!"

      I heard Jace shout, for a second I saw a man with blonde hair and white swirl tattoos covering his body.

      "Konida Rosen!" I couldn't look at the blond man any longer, he stood with a blond woman and a sandy blond.

      I saw Ivris run towards the trio and the sandy blond picked her up with ease. The first blond didn't have a shirt on. I saw him set it down on a bench before he set off to follow the other 2 walk off with Ivris.

      When they were out of sight, I picked it up with intent of returning it to him one day. I put the blue tank top in the small bag that I carried around. Jace ran up as I put the bag over my shoulder.

      "Konida!" Jace shouted from outside my door.

      "Stop yelling!"

      "Get your ass downstairs immediately. You're having breakfast with us whether I have to throw you down the stairs or not."

      "Can I get dressed first?"

      He groaned, "Hurry the hell up."

      "Back away from the door, christ I can hear you breathing."

      "I'll be downstairs, I'm coming back up in 20 minutes if I don't see you by then."

      "Alright, byyyye," I said loudly, extending the 'bye' to make sure I got my point across, thanks for interupting my damn dream. It was a good memory.

      I looked down at the blue tank top, "I'll find you, as well as my dad, and I'll return your shirt. I promise you."