01 | for the love of flour

JUST BEFORE DAWN, the eastern sky fills with blended tones of rosy pinks and sandy yellows. The sky glows like a summer peach, and the sun is pure gold in the air — a subtle way to welcome a new day, a new beginning.

"Selena! Emily! Wake up!" The voice of the said sister's brother echoed throughout the house. The former let out a groan, burrowing herself into the warm, soft sheets. She rubbed the remainders of sleep from her eyes, gazing towards the window with the curtains open. She looked out to see the horizon; its vivid light extended across a rosy sky.

She supposed this was something the majority of people would consider beautiful, but she found it strange, hard even, to see something so meaningful in something so every-day. It's not like the sun wouldn't rise, it had, after all, been reliably happening since the beginning of time. So what was so special about it? She could never feel the joy from it like others did, the magic that drew so many artists and photographers in, as if they had some lens or filter she'd missed out on.

What did excite her was fire. Fire was the most beautiful weapon of them all. It shone with all its glory; maybe that's why she was attracted to it? The warmth along with the welcoming feel it gives but as someone slowly approaches it snarls and bites. Everything somebody love could be gone in minutes, due to a single nip. That's why she was like fire. So warm, so beautiful, so welcoming. The human embodiment of fire.

"Shut up, Dylan!" Yelled back the eldest sister, Emily. She was in her room, sleeping just like Selena was. The trio had been together since they were babies and it may seem as if they aren't close, but they are. They've been close ever since their parents died as well as Selena getting her power to control the untamed flames.

"Wake up!" Dylan yelled again. Selena was fed up with her brother. He didn't seem to understand what beauty sleep meant.

"Shut up, Dylan! Otherwise, I'll burn all your hair off." That seemed to shut him because Selena didn't hear him talk till she finally got up after an hour or so.

The brunette stepped into her separate bathroom and stripped out of her clothes before entering the shower, switching it on and sighing as the fresh water cascade down her back, sending shivers as cold met warm. She took her time in the shower and once she finished, ten minutes had passed.

Drying herself quickly, the brunette entered her closet and slipped on a grey knitted crop top sweater paired with skinny black jeans. She left her hair down and walked out of her room and down to the kitchen.

When she got to the kitchen, Selena laughed at the sight before her. Both her brother and sister were covered in flour as they tried to make breakfast which they failed at.

"BAHAHAHAH!" Selena burst out into fits of laughter as they turned to glare at their younger sister. She rolled her eyes, wiping a tear that fell from laughing too hard. "Go change. I'll clean up here." They thanked her before leaving, arguing with each other.

Selena looked around the kitchen and saw that the flour was everywhere along with the other ingredients. There were eggs all over the floor, cracked and some leaking out of its shell. She rolled her eyes. She did love her siblings, but they can get so annoying at times.

Selena shook her head, not bothered to clean up herself, so she snapped her fingers and allowed her powers to come into action. Smouldering, fire licked all over the kitchen, like a kitten with milk.

The fire crackled, playfully, gentle at first. It spat a shower of sparks like a fountain before it disappeared, revealing a clean and tidy kitchen. Selena smiled, loving her powers. She never understood why people hated fire. It was one of the best things ever created.

"Wow." Admired Emily as she entered the room along with their brother, Dylan. "Well done."

"Thanks." She nodded and was about to say something when a knock on the door was heard.

"That must be them," Dylan said as he left to the main door. Edward Cullen was a dear friend of the Palmer siblings. He knew about Selena's power and had come over to visit them, asking for their help.

Initially, they thought he came to eliminate Selena, but it turned out to be the opposite. They all agreed, Emily and Dylan were hesitant in the beginning, but Selena managed to persuade them.

"Hello." Selena greeted as Edward entered the kitchen along with Dylan. He smiled, greeting her back.

"All set?" The trio nodded, and they soon left, after locking up and getting their bags. Selena sat in the back along with Dylan as Emily sat in the front since she was the oldest. They were on their way to Forks from Alaska.

"You guys might want to get comfortable, it's going to be a long ride," Edward stated before slamming his foot onto the gas pedal as they started their journey to Forks.