003

As I approached the metal door, which had nothing but a small glass window, I felt my palms begin to profusely sweat. I felt a mix of despair and guilt for Subject Zero. The last thing he remembered is the tragedy of the Titanic. The freezing water consuming his body. Petrified screams echoing through the cold air of the abyss that is the Atlantic Ocean. He was surely somewhat traumatized.

I placed my palm on the palm-scanner by the door, a clicking sound emerging from the lock after my print was approved by the system. I grabbed the cold, stiff handle, before slowly pushing it open, a long shaky breath escaping my lungs as I did so.

As my eyes looked into the bright room, I saw the blonde young man sitting on the edge of his cot. He fumbled with his thumbs since the doctors told him he couldn't fumble with the tube connected to his arm anymore as it provided him with the necessary nutrients required to survive, and shouldn't be tampered with.

He did not notice me at first, as he was clearly stuck in a daze, lost in his thoughts... But the moment the door accidentally slammed shut behind me, his anguish-laced eyes instantly met mine. I bit my lip nervously in response to the stressful situation.

"Rose..." he whispered, standing up quickly, but I quickly gestured for him to stop before he moved too much and ripped a tube out of his arm. I didn't quite understand why he was so attached. He just met me, and he already requested to speak to me privately.

I looked at the young man in front of me with caution. "I knew you would have lived. I just knew it!" He said excitedly, motioning me over to the cot. I followed hesitantly before he pulled me down to sit on his bed with him.

"Tell me what I've missed! How long have I been asleep? Who rescued you?" He rambled on. Subject Zero waited impatiently, a smile on his face as he longed for answers I didn't have.

"Who rescued me?" I asked in a confused manner. "What do you mean?"

Subject Zero laughed slightly as if amused by my confusion. "Who rescued you from the water?" He elaborated.

"I-I..." I stuttered, unable to answer.

He noticed my trouble and shook his head. "Don't worry Rose, if it's too soon to talk about it, then we don't have to." He insisted.

I sighed in relief, before asking him. "What's your name?"

Subject Zero's eyes widened out of sheer shock and confusion at what seemed to be an absurd question, before he began weakly laughing again.

"Not funny, Rose." He said, before realizing that I was not kidding by the seriousness of my expression. "Wait, you don't remember me...?" He asked, eyebrows now furrowed together out of disappointment and worry.

"Remember you? We have never met, Subject Zero." I said in a  rather calm manner, hoping he wouldn't freak out over what seemed to be bizarre information.

"Why is everyone calling me that?" He asked, growing frustration tainting his tone.

Subject Zero stopped. He completely froze still, eyes wide, before slowly turning to face me as if he had just had an epiphany. And not a good one.

"You're not Rose..." he muttered, standing from the bed and backing away slowly, his hands running through his hair nervously as the tube connected to his arm ran out of distance.

"Yes, I am," I told him strictly, yet I was still confused. "I have proof!"

I pulled out my ID badge from the breast pocket of my white lab coat and showed it to Subject Zero. He took the card in his pale hands and studied it carefully with his green hues.

"Rose Bukater Calvert II," he paused, then continued. "Born April 14, 1979?!"

His fingers released the card instantly as if he couldn't believe what he had just read.

"You're a Rose, but not my Rose!" He began to raise his voice as he walked away from me. He then ripped out the needle from his arm, running over to the door and banging on it with his fists desperately.

"Let me out!" He shouted over and over breathlessly.

I quickly approached the upset subject, placing my hand on his shoulder which caused him to jump slightly at the sudden contact. "Get away from me!" He hissed, pulling his shoulder out of my gentle grip as he backed away once again.

"Subject Zero! I-"

"Stop calling me that!" He interrupted, before leaning against the concrete wall and sliding to the floor. "That's not my name..." he muttered, his hands covering the sides of his head as if he were going insane. Which he pretty much was, at this point.

"Then what is your name?!" I asked, slightly raising my voice as well from getting frustrated with his behavior, but I managed to keep my composure overall.

He tucked his knees up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them, looking up at me with eyes glazed with fear. "Jack." He said in a broken whisper. "Jack Dawson."

I've heard that name before, but I couldn't quite put my finger on when or where.

Suddenly, a familiar booming voice belonging to Dr. Johnson spoke through the speakers in the room. "That's enough, Dr. Calvert. Please exit the patients room while we send in nurses."

I looked down at Jack and sighed. "Well, it's been a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Dawson," I told the anxious subject, before bending down and taking his hands in mine. I carefully pulled him up onto his feet. "You should rest."

As I lead him to his cot, the door behind us opened and three nurses filed into the room.

"Thank you, Dr. Calvert." Said a small woman, before gently pushing me towards the door.

I glanced back at Jack one last time, who was now being poked by new needles, and touched with new devices and monitors as I made my way to the exit. His gaze never left mine, until one of the nurses told him to look at her so that she can check his pupils.

I finally left the room and stood in the hallway in awe.

After mentally recovering from what had happened, I went to the cafeteria and stocked up on food and snacks. I then brought it all back to my room and locked the door behind me.

I planned to stay up all night, finding out who Jack Dawson was.