006

"The last thing I felt was the sharp pain of the freezing water consume my insides. I felt my body slowly begin to shut down. Finally, as Rose sung to herself, I drifted off." Jack stopped once he heard footsteps approach the door.

I was confused as to why people were awake, I thought it was the middle of the night.

I checked my watch and realized it was six in the morning.

"Shit!" I said, standing up quickly from my spot on the chair I hadn't stood up from once all night. I spent the entire time listening to Jack tell me about the Titanic. "It's 6am! We stayed up all night."

Jack looked over at me as, before sitting up on his bed. "So?" He asked.

"So... Dr. Johnson is gonna-"

The lock of the door clicked, and as I turned my head slowly I saw an angry Dr. Johnson standing behind me.

I turned with a smile. "Dr. Johnson. How are you this fine morning?" I asked, playing with my fingers nervously behind my back.

"I thought we agreed to leave him alone." He crossed his arms over his chest, glancing between Jack who sat on the edge of his bed, and I, who stood next to the bed.

"Dr. Johnson, sir. It was my idea. I had asked her to come and keep me company." Jack told my boss in an attempt to cover for me.

I looked over at the young looking man, and he looked back at me with wide eyes. He did not have to speak for me to know what he was saying.

"Oh uh... yeah! He got lonely and called out for me." I told the older man who stood before us.

Dr. Johnson gave us one last suspicious glance, before rolling his eyes and stepping out of the way. "Go back to your room, Miss Bukater, and get ready. We have many tests to run through today."

"Tests?" I asked in confusion. I had been wondering what they were going to do with Jack besides question him, but they never said anything about tests.

"Yes, tests. Am I speaking Japanese?" He asked sarcastically. I felt Jack's nervous eyes on me.

"What kind of tests? Like vital tests? Blood tests?"

Dr. Johnson chuckled to himself. "I will not reveal that to you yet. You will see soon. But for now, I'm going to kindly ask you to leave while the nurses come and give Jack his breakfast."

I nod, not bothering to say much more to the man. I looked back at Jack, who clenched his jaw and gulped as he looked back at me. I sighed, before slowly shuffling my tired feet from the room and into the hall.

• • •

I stood in testing lab number one, the lab which Dr. Johnson called me in to. I was afraid of what was about to happen. There was large glass box with a later in its side, and it seemed to be filled with cold water and ice. I did not plan to ask what the pool was going to be for, since I had already upset Dr. Johnson enough that day.

I had a clipboard hugged against my chest as I patiently waited for Johnson and his son to arrive. Minutes later, the two walked through a separating door.

"Hello Dr. Johnson, Junior." I greeted them both. Dr. Johnson nodded his head at me, before his son walked over to me.

"What are they going to do to Jack?!" I whispered to Joe Johnson's son. Junior shrugged. "I'm not sure. He won't tell me either."

We heard the sliding doors open once more. Junior and I looked to see two nurses leading Jack into the room. Once his eyes landed on the glass box, he stopped in his tracks.

"Don't you dare." He mumbled to Dr. Johnson. The nurses gently tugged at his arm, urging him forward.

"Good morning, Jack." He greeted with a smile which had fake sympathy written all over it. I never knew he was such a good actor. "This test is to see how well your body can stand temperatures as low as freezing point. You must have a high tolerance considering you survived at the bottom of the ocean all these years."

"What?!" I shouted, handing Junior my clipboard as I walked over to Jack and Dr. Johnson. "No! No, no, no! Are you trying to trigger bad-"

"Dr. Bukater!" Dr. Johnson raised his hand in a silencing way, and it worked. I sacredly stopped talking, the only communication I had was the worried glared I shared with Jack who stood beside me. "Who is the boss here? Who paid for this facility? Who paid for your trip to the bottom of the ocean? Who gave you the opportunity to be part of such a successful experiment?"

I shook my head. "The experiment is over! It worked! Jack is alive! You should let him go, he is a person." I countered.

Dr. Johnson rolled his eyes, before ordering one of the employees to take me out of the lab.

As an older man in a white coat grabbed my arm, I ripped it from his grip. "No!" I shouted. "I won't let you do this to-"

"Rose." Jack interrupted. I stopped talking, and looked at the young man in front of me. "It's fine. This is my life now. I'm an experiment." He shrugged. "So don't make this any harder than what it should be." He said in a calm tone.

I shook my head. "Jack... how could you say that? You have a life!"

"I had a life. It's gone now. This is 1999, not 1912. It's time I start a new life." He explained.

Dr. Johnson grew impatient, before ordering some more employees to drag me out. Which is what they did. Of course, I did not let them grab me without a fight, but it was too late. I stood outside of the lab door, the door locked.

I placed my hand on the metal plate. It scanned it, but denied my entrance.

I swore under my breath, walking over to the window which let me view into the lab.

I saw the nurses remove Jacks clothing, and put on a pair of swim trunks and a stretchy shirt.

Junior looked back at me through the window, biting his lip nervously.

"Do something!" I shouted, banging on the window.

One of the other doctors heard my banging and saw me, before closing the blinds of the window. I couldn't see into the lab anymore.

I was about to walk away in defeat, when I heard wretched screams. Screams that belonged to a familiar voice.

"Jack!" I yelled, running back and banging on the door.

"LET ME OUT! PLEASE!" I heard him yell, along with the sound of water splashing. I heard him try to speak, but the shivers got to his voice and he couldn't seem to speak a stable sentence.

Suddenly, the yelling stopped. I couldn't hear the sound of his body writhing in the icy water anymore.

"He's not moving! He's having a triggering reaction to the water's temperature!" Shouted Junior. I heard every single thing from the hallway. "Get him out!"

I listened in horror.

"No!" Dr. Johnson shouted. "Not yet."

I felt tears stream down my hot cheeks as I leaned my forehead against the metal door. I began to sob, continuing to bang on the door. Finally, I gave up and slid down the side of the door, sitting on the floor and crying into my knees.

In that moment, I promised myself, and Jack that I would never let him go through another experiment again.