011

I had been driving for hours when I finally saw the headlights of another vehicle in the distance. I pulled the car over quickly, causing Jack to awake from the nap he had been taking.

Must've been nice to sleep. Me, on the other hand, had been driving for five hours. The sun had still been rising when I hopped out of the stopped truck.

"What're you doing?" Jack asked in a groggy voice as he rubbed his eyes.

"Someone's here! We can ask for directions." I explained, shutting the door behind me.

I stood in the centre of the road, waving as the pick-up truck in the distance came closer,

Once the driver had noticed me, they slowed the car down to a stop. I smiled, walking over to the passengers window.

As the glass rolled down, it revealed an old man, about 60, sitting behind the wheel.

"Why hello there young lady. How may I help ya?" He asked.

"I'm wondering if you can point me in the direction of New York City? My husband and I have been driving around all night with no clue where to go." I told him, partly lying.

"Of course, take this road all the way down until the next intersection. Turn left, and that should take y'all to a highway. From there, if you hop on highway 50 and read all the signs that lead you there, you should be there in about..." he checked his watch. "Two hours. With traffic, three."

"Thank you so much sir!" I said, smiling brightly.

"No problem m'am! Good luck!" He wished, before slowly driving off.

I walked back over to the car, hopping in and starting it once again with the two wires.

"Did you get the directions?" Jack asked.

"I did." I answered as the engine revved and the car soon started again.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" He asked.

I looked over at him. "It's a bit late for that Jack." I said, making my way along the long, dusty road again.

"Dr. Johnson said that we would be running for the rest of our lives. I don't wanna do that Rose..."

"Jack. I promised you that your life will be full of great memories. You have a second chance, and I'm going to make sure you use it right. So don't worry about what Dr. Johnson said." I said, keeping my eyes on the road in front of me.

The vehicle was silent, the only sound was the rubber of the tires running over the pebbles of the road.

Finally, Jack broke the silence. "This is all weird." He said, staring out the rolled down window at the sunrise.

"What is?" I asked.

"How last week, I was on the Titanic. The ship of dreams. Now I'm in this strange vehicle. 87 years later." He said, sticking his arm out the window and letting the wind run between his fingers.

"Yeah, this must be strange for you..." I told him, not knowing how I could respond to that.

I really did feel sorry for Jack.

"Not to mention I'm in a strange vehicle with someone who happens to be related to my late girlfriend." He scoffed, running his hand through his blonde, long hair. "I can't believe this is my life. Who knew? The poor and helpless Jack Dawson that everyone saw on that ship, is still alive. And young. And missing the one thing he would live for. What do I have to live for now?"

"Me." I said abruptly.

"What?" He asked, looking over at me.