016

Jack and I walked into a gas station, praying to ourselves that the person behind the cash register didn't recognize us from the news.

Our luck struck again when we walked into the station, and no TVs were spotted. A kind-looking old man stood behind the tall desk, newspaper in hand as he tried to finish the daily cross-word puzzle.

I cleared my throat as a way to get his attention.

The man looked up at us, before smiling and putting down the paper. "Sorry about that, I always get so serious when it comes to those stupid ol' cross-words!" The man laughed slightly. "The name's Buck, how may I help you?"

"Good morning, Buck, do you mind if I use your telephone?" I asked politely. "I'll pay, of course."

"Sure thing let me just-" as he turned around, he stopped, before turning back to look at me. "Say... have I seen y'all before?"

Jack and I looked at each other nervously, before back at Buck. "No, I don't think so." I answered.

"I sure have! Y'all are the youngsters who asked me for directions the other day! Well I'm glad you found your way here!" He laughed again, before grabbing his telephone from a stool behind him and placing it on the counter. "No charge."

"Thank you." I smiled at Buck, before lifting the receiver of the base and dialling Juniors number. I had no idea how I had it memorized, but thankful I did.

After a few rings, I finally heard his familiar voice.

"Hello?"

"Junior?! It's Rose." I said quickly.

"Rose?! I've been calling your motel all morning! What happened?!"

"We were in the news, Junior. He saw and was gonna turn us in! We had to run." I said in a low whisper so that Buck, who was in a deep conversation with Jack about baseball, didn't overhear. "What's the plan?"

"You and Jack are going to cross the boarder with whatever money is left. I'll meet you there. My dad has been so occupied with this that he barely notices when I'm gone. So it'll be easy to sneak away." He explained.

"Junior, it's gonna be hard to just cross the boarder!"

"When you get to the boarder, I need you to get arrested. They'll bring you into this small building with an interrogation room in Canada. Then, ask for the chief. When he comes, say that Junior needs help, and explain the situation."

"That's gonna work?" I asked.

"Let's just say that he owes me one. A big one."

I nodded, sighing. "You'll be there?"

"Yes. I promise." He reassured. "Now go."

"Okay, bye..." I muttered, putting the receiver back on the telephone and looking up at Buck. "Thank you for letting us use the phone, sir." I said with a smile.

"No problem! Gave me some time to get to know this young man." Buck reached over the counter and shook Jacks hand. "No charge."

"Thank you so much, Buck." Jack said politely, before releasing the man's hand. "We are on a tight schedule, so we have to go."

I looked at Jack and nodded in agreement. "Yes, we must go. Thanks again, Buck!" Jack and I turned for the door, walking out into the warm air of the large city. I sighed to myself, causing Jack to notice my trouble.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"The plan. It's bizarre." I said, looking over at him.

"Well, what is it?"

"Get arrested at the border." I explained quickly.

"Border?! As in, Canada and us?" He asked in confusion.

I nodded. "I say we take a cab, and then cross by foot, and-"

"No." Jack said abruptly.

I lowered my eyebrows in confusion and the man in front of me. "No?"

"Yeah. No! I appreciate what you're doing for me, but we can't spend our whole lives running. Johnson is bound to find us at some point. We might as well turn our selves in now, and hope-"

"Jack, are you serious?!" I scoffed. "You're bailing out now?"

"Rose, I-"

"No! Don't Rose me. I've basically screwed up my whole career as a scientist saving your ass, and probably the rest of my life too! Just so you wouldn't have to live the rest of your life in a cell! All while doing so, I've began to-" I paused. "Nevermind. Just... just don't give up, okay?! You are almost free! I mean, I shot someone for you! Someone very rich and powerful! I had to risk my mother's life, never seeing Junior again, my job, and I probably have a criminal record-" before I can finish my sentence, Jack's hands grasped both sides of my face gently and pulled me up to his, where his lips waited to meet mine. And they did. They touched ever so gently, yet passionately, I almost forgot we were at a gas station.

I pulled my lips away from his, shocked and speechless. "What...what was that for?" I asked.

"You wouldn't shut up." He said with a slight grin, laughing as he tucked a loose strand of blonde hair behind my ear. Suddenly, my mind raced back to the day I first saw him. Not when we unfroze him, or when I met him in the interrogation room, but when I found him in that block of ice. As romantic as it isn't, when I saw him, I had a feeling that his discovery would change my life. And not in the name of science, but in the name of an emotion called love.

"I suggest finding a better tactic at making me quiet, Dawson." I said, pulling away from his grasp. Although I wanted to stay in his arms the rest of my life at that moment, we had serious business to take care of.

"Don't do that." He said, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

I crossed my arms. "Do what?"

"That! Pretend you don't have feelings for me." He pointed out, laughing at me as he did so.

I rolled my eyes. "Let's get a cab already, Junior is meeting us at the border." I said, turning and walking towards the road. Jack followed by my side, glancing over at me once in a while, smiling.

"Why are you smiling like that?" I asked, stopping on the sidewalk.

He shrugged. "Because I can finally admit my feelings for you."