015

During the first hour of walking, my feet ached. My eye lids felt heavy, and I almost let my eyes roll back into my head in exhaustion. But I would not allow myself to become overwhelmed by the tiredness.

During the second hour, my feet numbed. Jack and I barely said a word to each other considering our tired states.

I hadn't slept for two days straight.

"I see the motel!" Jack said as he tapped my shoulder. My squinting eyes followed the direction of his pointed finger to a small building with a large parking lot. My feet's pace picked up as I prayed it would be open.

Finally, we reached the doors. Jack opened them for me, and I slowly dragged my tired feet through the doorway and into the office of the motel.

"Sorry, we're closing up." Said the older man as he walked over to the door we had just entered through and flipped the sign on the window to say "Sorry, we're closed".

"Please, I beg you... our car broke down and we have been walking for hours." I said, leaning on the desk. "I beg you."

"I'm sorry m'am, but we aren't open this late." He shook his head, grabbing the keys to the office.

I took out some of the money that Junior had given me out of my pocket, before slapping it onto the dark wooden desk. "We'll take whatever you have."

• • •

"If you need anything, the phone is on the wall by the window." The older man said, before walking away and down the isle of rooms. I shut the door behind him, turning to Jack who sat on the edge of the bed.

"Do we have a plan for tomorrow?" He asked. I shook my head.

"No... I guess we have to trust Junior, and that he will call us." I explain as I slip my shoes off, before shuffling over the carpeted floor and falling back first onto the stiff mattress.

Jack continued to speak, but I couldn't help but shit my eyes. I convinced myself that there was nothing wrong with resting my eyes for a couple minutes, but that soon turned into a full nights sleep.

• • •

The following morning, I woke up to the motel room's bright light. I squinted as the sun peeked through the window, and straight at my face.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, standing up. I took I small step to walk, but quickly tripped over something my foot got caught on.

As my body crashed against the floor, I looked back to see Jack sprawled across a blanket.

"What're you doing?" He asked in a groggy voice.

"Well, I was trying to walk!" I answered, my voice a bit husky myself. I propped myself onto both elbows before sitting up, as did he.

"Any calls?" I asked, running my eyes before standing and shutting the curtain. The room became darker instantly.

"No." He answered standing up and stretching his arms over his head.

"Well I'm going to go change. I've been wearing these clothes for too long." I answered, grabbing my bag. I picked up the black television remote from the nightstand by the bed, before tossing it to Jack.

He caught it, before eyeing it with confusion. "What is this?" He asked, his fingers running over the rubber numbered buttons.

"A remote. You use it to watch TV." I explained, pointing at the large Television which stood mounted in the corner of the room. "Press the top red button."

Jack did as I asked, and the square in the corner lit up, and instantly the news appeared. "That's the news channel. It shows what's happening around the state, and sometimes the country. Have fun." I turned and walked into the small bathroom, shutting the door behind me before letting my bag fall to the floor.

I quickly changed into a new pair of baggy jeans, and a tight white tee which hugged my curves. I brushed my short blonde hair out, and then brushed my teeth with a tooth brush I had brought.

"Rose!" Jack shouted from the main room. I took the brush out of my mouth.

"Yes?" I answered, my voice muffled by the paste in it.

"Come look at this..." he said, and I instantly spit the contents of my mouth out and into the sink in front of me.

I exited the bathroom, walking over to the bed he sat on. He stared at the screen with intensity.

I followed his gaze to the television, and saw his picture, with the caption: MISSING MAN! If seen, please call the number below! I recognized the number. It was the telephone number of Johnson Facilities.

I ripped the remote from Jack's hands, turning the Tv off before grabbing my bag and putting all my things in it again.

"What're you doing?!" He asked. I grabbed his shoes and tossed them to him, before slipping on my own.

"We need to get out of here, before someone-" I was interrupted by the sound of a vigorous knock from the door of our room.

I rushed over to it, peeking through the small hole which allowed us to see who it was.

"It's the owner!" I whispered to Jack. "We need to go!"

"I know you're in there!" He shouted. "And I know he isn't suppose to be here!"

"The window!" Jack pointed before rushing over and opening the curtains. The handle of the door jerked up and down as the man on the other side of it tried to get in. The young man and I pulled the window up together, before I tossed my backpack out of it and onto the ground which was two stories beneath us.

Jack climbed out first, and onto the emergency stair case outside. Which was extremely convenient.

He helped me out of the room and through the window, before the sound of the lock opening caught our attention.

The owner of the motel bursted through the door, and locked eyes with me. I panicked, shutting the window and rushing down the metal stair case which was attached to the brick wall of the motel.

I reached down to grab my bag once we were on the ground, before sprinting with Jack by my side.

We made our way down the street, turning into alleys and at street corners. It wouldn't be long before the police would be scouting the entire area, so I had to make a plan. And quick.

"What about Juniour's phone call?!" Jack said, out of breath as we both jogged to a stop in the middle of an alleyway.

"If he can't call us, we'll call him." I had no idea if it was a good idea or a bad one, but it was our only option.