CHAPTER EIGHT - ACCEPTANCE

Michael's face was the image I had stuck in my mind when I woke up

Michael's face was the image I had stuck in my mind when I woke up. But it was not a vision. This time, it was actual images from the day I met him. This angel-like and smiling face he had at the moment he looked up at me.

As I was watching the ceiling of my bedroom with a snoring Alice sleeping next to me, I tried to remember the day I met him, and I found myself smiling at the memory. Automatically, I wiped off that grin and shook my head a little.

It's like I couldn't help it, like I was, somehow, attached to him and that I didn't want anything to happen to him. My mind was its own chief, for I didn't have full control on what it was doing. I didn't want to feel any kind of feelings toward Michael Jackson. Not because I didn't think he deserved my attention, but because it would affect my judgment regarding the situation I was in.

Alice and I spent the night discussing about this situation, and what I should do. Now she knew all about me, it was just a matter of time until she adjusted to the situation and help me deal with it.

On the one hand, I had Grams who was telling me that I had to ignore the flashes and let them go away. And on the other hand, I had Alice who didn't realize how serious all of this was just yet.

I knew for sure that this feeling of constant fear and apprehension would only go if I helped him, or if I at least gave it a try. The incessant questioning came back, and I knew for sure that it would be over once I made up my mind: help him, or leave him.

Careful not to wake my friend up, I stood up from my bed gently and sat up on the edge of it. I brushed my hands over my tired and slightly hangovered face, and looked at the digital clock on my nightstand which indicated 8:30am.

I put my long brunette hair in a high bun on top of my head, and quietly put some sweatpants and sweater on  before going downstairs to the kitchen. As I saw the notepad and pen which were on the counter top, I decided to leave a note to Alice before leaving the loft to let her know where I was, and to tell her not to run away.

Even though I spent the night answering her questions, I was scared that she would realize how much crazy all of this was, and that she would just leave.

"Hey, left to get breakfast. Will be back around 9:30am. Please don't leave before I'm home. Brit."

I took my car keys, and drove off to Randy's Donuts, the place where Alice and I used to meet when we were younger. At the moment I stopped at the drive-through of the building, a smile appeared on my face as I remember moments from our college years.

Once I had my order, I drove off and decided to stop by to see Grams. I needed to tell her I told Alice everything, and I wanted her opinion on what I had to do. It's true that she already told me what was best for me to do, but as I knew her, I knew she had thought about the situation all night long. Surprisingly, I found myself hoping she would have changed her mind, that she would tell me to go and try to help the guy.