CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE - DR. BRIT

A/N: hey guys, apparently Wattpad is acting crazy again lately, and some of you didn't get the notification for the previous chapter, entitled "Jack". If you missed it, I invite you to go read it because you might need the information you'll find in there to understand the next chapters of this book. Just in case Wattpad won't let you see it, here is the link: https://my.w.tt/mp4HmzqOXW
Sorry about that guys! Enjoy xo
______

I rested my head on the steering wheel and stayed there for a couple of minutes as I had just parked my car in the driveway in front of the loft. My exhaustion had reached its top at that point. Yet again, I spent the last days doing one night shift after another with a couple of hours of sleep in between each. It had been a rough few days at the hospital, filled with many consults and emergencies here and there. I was more than ready to come back home after a night shift I thought would never end.

I just needed to find the strength to hop out of my car, and drag myself to bed.

As I felt I could have slept there if I stayed, I gathered the strength I had left in me and stepped out, feeling like a walking zombie. When I closed my door, a car appeared in my driveway which startled me a bit because it was driving fast. Soon enough, a frown appeared on my face when I realized that Marlon was the one who was behind the wheel.

"Brit, thank God you're here!" he exclaimed, he was very panicked, and I started to feel scared as well. "I—I need you!"

"Marlon, what's going on?" I asked, as I made my way up to him. He didn't answer, but instead he took his son, Junior, from the back seat. He had blood on his forehead and a bandage around his left hand. "Oh my God, what happened?"

"H—he was getting prepared for school and he wanted to go on the swing while I was getting breakfast ready, and I told him he could go and he fell from it, a—and now I feel guilty and I—I didn't want to take the risk to take him to the hospital so I—"

"Marlon, calm down, he's gonna be okay, I'm here," I reassured him, as he took his crying son in his arms. "Come on, come inside."

I barged into the loft closely followed by Marlon. Alice, who was peacefully having a cup of coffee in the living room, put a hand over her chest as I ran towards the bathroom to get the first aid kit from it.

"W—What's going on?" I heard her ask Marlon, and he explained her what happened

"W—What's going on?" I heard her ask Marlon, and he explained her what happened. "I—Is there something I can do to help?"

"Bring me some ice please, he's probably going to need stitches," I asked my best friend as I came back with the first aid kit. After I washed my hands, I put some gloves on, and asked Marlon to put his son on the couch.