Chapter 23- The Trial

"Are you sure you can handle this?" Kyoya asked from besides me as I explained what happened the day before.

"I can honestly say I have no idea." I said quietly, then I leaned into him, "Kyoya, how can I face him again, I don't know if I'm strong enough for this."

He wrapped his arms around me and buried his face into my hair, "Risa, you have the strength to do anything as long as you have us behind you. Besides, if you don't face him, this matter will never be resolved and you won't be able to move past this." I didn't answer, but just kept taking deep breaths as my mind went back over what had happened yesterday.

Flashback

"Risa, someone wants to speak to you!" Ranka called from the front room with a bit of worry in his voice. With a groan, I pulled myself out of bed and walked slowly out of my room, leaving the book I had been absorbed in on the nightstand that Haruhi and I shared.

My visitor stood before me in business attire, obviously visiting on some official business, he had no suit jacket, but it was a hot day out so I figured that that would have been overkill.

"Hello Miss Soretzu, my name is Takamori Hanutzo, Would I be able to speak to you for a few minutes?" He asked politely and I nodded, showing him towards the part of the apartment we used as the dining room.

Once we sat, he pulled several papers out of his briefcase and looked at me seriously, "Miss Soretzu, I have come to inform you that your Father's trial has been scheduled for a month from now; I know this must be very difficult for you, but I have been appointed as the prosecutor for this case and I would like you to testify against your Father."

I wasn't shocked, I knew this had been coming, but I still wasn't sure if I was ready to face him. I closed my eyes and breathed in, "What would that entail?"

"I would ask to have a private interview with you beforehand where you would detail what happened between you and your Father, then from there we would talk about the strategy we would take in the trial. it would be a fairly time-consuming project, but if we do this right, then your Father would be locked away for a long time; you wouldn't have to worry about him coming after you for a long time."

I nodded slowly, I had expected this to happen, "Do you know the basics of what happened to me, Mr. Hanutzo?"

"Yes, I read the police file; though it was surprisingly undetailed about everything."

"Well then, you must know that this will be extremely hard for me, but I want to help you as best I can. When would be best to start the process?"

"We can start whenever you're ready, though I would recommend starting sooner rather than later, so that we have time to deal with any issues that may arrive."

I nodded and then spoke thoughtfully, "I have lessons every day after my school activities, but I should be finished by seven every night, would I be able to meet you then? The only other option would be to meet on a weekend, or I guess I could skip school a couple of times for me to meet with you during the day."

"I would hate to take time out of your busy evenings. How about we plan to meet this Saturday at my office around one? You can bring someone along if you would like to stay safe. How does that sound?"

"Good, I would need the address, but I would be more than willing to come."

"Good. I would also like permission to gain your medical records from that time, as well as help in obtaining a few other possible witnesses. I will be doing most of the work, but I would like to involve you in this as much as I can to help make it a success."