Chapter 13

Author's note: The image on the side is a picture of L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph in Montreal (source for the image: http://lesauroresboreales.blogspot.com/2009/05/oratoire-st-joseph.html ).

I hope you like this chapter, so please comment and vote!

Fighting her instincts to protect her freedom - chapter 13 

Ariel couldn't move, her entire body was filled with too many emotions. She could feel her wolf jumping with joy inside of her and she was afraid her voice would betray her, but finally, she managed to speak.

- What are you doing here?

- Uh, I'm waiting for my flight. What are you doing here?

He looked up to the gate's destination and continued.

- You are going to Canada? You are leaving? I thought you would stay more time in Peru...

He was feeling nervous and sad. Ariel could feel it. He thought she was leaving for good, that she wasn't coming back. It was only natural considering that they hadn't spoken since the incident in Cuzco.

- No, I mean yes. I'm going to Canada but only for a few days. My paintings are going to be in an exposition there... I won a contest so...

She felt like an idiot who couldn't even talk properly, but Sebastian's face had changed and he was no longer feeling sad. She could see joy and pride in his eyes and instantly she blushed. His eyes were too dangerous for her to stare, they had a big impact on her emotions.

- What about you? Why are you going to Canada? 

- Oh, I'm not. My gate is the next one, I was just going to sit when I saw you.

He blushed when he said that last part. "How cute", she thought. She then looked up at the screen featuring the destination of that gate and saw it was headed to Brazil.

- Why are you going to Brazil?

- Oh, there's a one week congress of Science there and Rafael signed me up. It actually only starts in three days, but Tom insisted I take an early flight so I can do some tourism before the congress.

He booked my plane flight and everything. 

So that explained the coincidence in departure times. Tom was trying to play match maker. "You're dead meat, Tom", she thought.

- I see.

- So, hmm, congratulations for winning the contest. You must be very happy and proud, specially considering how young you are.

- Yeah, I'm very happy... But it feels wrong leaving the country when... You know. I just hope nothing happens while I'm away. I felt so guilty when I was in Cuzco and...

She was babbling, not knowing how to explain herself without saying words that humans would find strange. However, Sebastian seemed to understand anyway, so he sat down next to her and took her right hand on his own making her feel little shocks of electricity.

- It's OK to go and be happy. There's nothing you can do by just staying here anyway, and what happened that day, it wasn't your fault. I felt bad too, so I understand. My trip was already ending so I got to go the funerals, but Ariel, nobody blames you for not being there. Many were absent on trips, just like you. And changing departure dates in the middle of July is practically impossible.  Everything  is booked. So they understood.

He was rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb, and that little gesture gave her a feeling of peace. He smiled at her, and she felt like melting. Her wolf was purring with delight but Ariel tried to