Chapter 14

Fighting her instincts to protect her freedom - Chapter 14

Ariel rushed to the clinic and once there she headed to the receptionists. Her hands shaking, her vision blurry, she couldn't believe this nightmare was ready. Before reaching the receptionist she heard a familiar voice to her left.

- Ariel, over here. 

- Tom! Tom! How is she? Can I see her? 

She started babbling and couldn't hold herself together. Tom gave her a hug and tried to calm her down but the shaking didn't stop. 

- She's still on surgery. The doctors said she would be there for three more hours at least. We'll know more then... But Ace, Patricia is strong, so don't lose hope. It was bad, but she's being treated, and she's strong. 

Ariel nodded but wasn't too reassured. He didn't know. Nobody knew.  

- What about Jorge's family?   

- They're on a different wing... This wing is for... You know, our kind.

He said the last part in a whisper. Of course they had to separate werewolves and humans, otherwise the humans would notice that the werewolves healed faster... At least when it wasn't too late. Oh how she wished Patricia was OK!

- I want to see them. Jorge's family I mean. Mateo must be devastated.

As she was talking she noticed her wolf was reacting to something. She looked up and saw Sebastian. He was looking at her, pleading with his eyes to let him go to her. She nodded at him and that was all it took. He rushed to her side and kept her in his arms for a while. His touch calmed her enough for her to regain her composure but she was still very worried and sad. Jorge was dead because he was dating Patricia. Jorge was dead because he met them. Jorge was dead because of a war that wasn't his own.

- I need to see Jorge's family. Will you come with me Seb? I don't think I can do it without you...

- Of course I'll come with you.

As she left the werewolf wing, she saw Adriana coming with a cup of coffee for Tom, who was already in the phone. She waved quickly at her.

.......

When they arrived to the waiting room were Jorge's family was gathered, Ariel reminded herself that she needed to be strong. She dried her tears, arranged her hair with her fingers and approached them. Sebastian was still holding her hand, giving her a little more strength. They approached Jorge's parents, and gave their condolences. They thanked them, still lost in their grief. Then Ariel saw Mateo all alone in a corner and she rushed to her friend. She gave him a hug and sat next to him. Sebastian gave her time with him and stayed behind.

That's when a guy in his thirties approached Seb.

- Hello. I don't think I had seen you before. Were you Jorge's friend?

- Not really. I met him once though. We had a common friend. Ariel, she's there, with Mateo. I'm just here to help her deal. She's Patricia's best friend and she was also close to Jorge.

- Oh.

- Are you one of Jorge's relatives?

- Older brother. I can't believe I'll be burying my little brother...

- I'm very sorry for your loss...

The man nodded, probably already used to those words,  he was trying to hide his tears but his eyes betrayed him and some fell down. Sebastian took him to a bench.

- I told my parents I would handle the... The arrangements. But I have no idea what to do! I'm a grown man, I should be strong enough, but my brain seems frozen.