Chapter 18

Fighting her instincts to protect her freedom - Chapter 18

Ariel and Sebastian stayed laying on the ground the rest of the day. Whatever their enemy was preparing for them it couldn't possibly be good, but the wait was also cruel. 

Unexpectedly, Claire came for a visit. Sebastian stood up so quickly, Ariel didn't get a chance to hold him down.

Claire didn't seem intimidated. She walked close to the bars and stared at Ariel for the longest time, unaware of Sebastian's movements. She only reacted when he grabbed her by the waist and pressed her onto the bars.

- Why are you here?

- Sebastian! You're hurting me! Stop it!

Sebastian seemed to snap out, let her go and shook his head. Claire turned her back to him, about to leave.

- Claire, wait. I'm sorry. Please stay.

Ariel didn't understand this. She couldn't bear the sight of that woman and Sebastian was asking her to stay!

- And why should I stay?

- Because I want to apologize.

That got her attention. She stood in front of him and raised an eyebrow, clearing waiting for the apology.

- I shouldn't have hurt you know, and I certainly shouldn't have lied to you yesterday.

- Why did you say all those things?

- Because I was jealous... You were right about something, I don't know what is to be loved by your mate. You see... My mate rejected me.

Claire's eyes were wide open. She hadn't expected this.

- I didn't know you had found your mate.

- I did, a couple of weeks ago, but she didn't like a nerd like me as a mate, so she rejected me.

- That's so cruel! How could she?!

- I was heart-broken. You're the first person I've told about this.

- I'm sorry Seb, you deserved better.

Ariel was surprised. She was sorry because Seb had supposedly being rejected, yet she didn't seem sorry about the people that had died and the war that would cost even more lives to be lost! And what was Sebastian doing anyway? Trying to be on her good side?

- I don't know... I guess it's only logical for her to be ashamed of me.

- Don't be ridiculous! You're a genius! That girl must have been really shallow and blind.

Sebastian remained silent for a while.

- Would you forgive me? For what I said?

- Yes. I understand you're not being yourself. I can't be imagine being rejected. Even the idea of being away from Bernardo was so difficult! I missed him so much! But I wanted to make him happy, so I did what he asked of me. 

- That's what mates are for, right? Helping each other? You did what a good mate does. He must be very proud of you.

- I guess, I hope so.

- You don't seem sure... but Claire, of course he can't show you his true feelings now! He has to appear as a dominant figure. A fearless leader, with no weakness. He wants to instill fear, he can't be all loving to you just yet. But I bet he craves for you as much as you do for him.

- Is that why he doesn't talk much to me?

- Of course! We are at war. He's behaving like a general, a leader. Not like Alpha Alfred. I bet he doesn't know anything about your mate's plan, does he?