8: Dinner ( Part 2 )

We were now getting seated at the dining table. I've met Blake's father, named Alex as I recalled, he's sweet and kind, and like a gentleman, he kissed my hand as we introduced each other. He have similar features of Blake's, the blonde hair, his breathtaking smile and of course his eyes. 

I was seated across Blake, in between me was Andy and Ryder. 

And in between Blake were Jason and William. And of course the Samantha and Alex sitting at each ends of the dining table. 

The vibe was really awkward and somehow tense, I didn't really know how to react to it because it's my first time experiencing it as well. I've established the fact that we're very different from each other, more like me. I'm more of a casual and funny type of person during dinners, but this one, it's too serious and... formal. Everyone were enjoying their meals, but silently... No one starting a conversation or or any sorts of communication. Just eerie silence, with their utensils clinking on their plates as they deliciously consumed the food that Mrs Riley made. 
The dish for tonight was roasted turkey, lasagna and creamy fusilli pasta. It was such a feast and Mrs Riley's cooking skills should be complimented. Back to the eerie silence that's obviously present during dinner, 

I decided to break the ice. 

"So, how did you and Mr Riley meet, Samantha?" I asked carefully. Once she heard me, her head perked up in excitement as if she was so happy to explain their story. She excitely put down her utensils and I smiled sheepishly at the scene of that. 

"Well...." Samantha looked back to Alex, and continued. "Once, many years back, we met in high school, and I have to say that both of us were so different that we don't communicate with each other at first." She smiled at her memories. "It all started basically in the girls' toilet." She stopped for a moment to laugh out loud. And Alex was laughing too. Alex continued the story for her, "She was crying, and I didn't knew what happened to her, I heard loud wailing in the girl's toilet, so being a curious teenager I am back then, I went inside, and realized that she cried over a movie that she watched in there." I started laughing and the parents also laughed along with me. 

"Don't judge me okay... I was a quiet girl and Alex here, he was the popular guy. So when he checked on me in the girl's bathroom, he hugged and comforted me, thinking that I have some sort of trouble in my mind, but he was wrong when he found that my phone was producing noises that came from the movie, and the movie is The Notebook, the last scene was just so saddening, I cant help myself!" Samantha's cheeks turned mild red from reminiscing her high school memories. They chuckled together, and this time the boys are laughing too but Blake just smiled.

They continued their love story,and found out that they fell in love with each other when Mr Riley became project partners with Mrs Riley, and the love story starts from there, and Mrs Riley was the one who made the move first. But my mind was only focused on one thing. Why is Blake so quiet throughout the dinner? He's probably hiding something? I asked myself. Maybe I'm being paranoid, it's better to just leave it. 

After we finished our dinner, I decided to help out with the dishes. Samantha insisted that I shouldn't but she gave in to my stubbornness. I cleared the empty dirty plates and utensils and put them in the sink and started to wash them. Before I start to clean, I took off my rings that have many special meanings to it at the counter top next to the sink, since I don't want it to get lost while I'm cleaning the plates. Before, I set my hands on the plates, someone's voice shocked me. It was Ryder, to my surprise. 

"You know you don't have to clean the plates right? They have a maid named Maria here, she will clean it." He said as he raised his eye brows at me. Why is he talking to me? 

"No, it's better if I do it. I am the guest so I want to show my appreciation or should I call it that... Whatever, I will clean the dishes, you can go back now since you've checked on me.." I said as my eyes went back to the sink.