Chapter 13

4 hours later…

Everything hurt as I sat down to eat lunch. “How can you guys do this every day?” I complained.

Frank smiled. “You’ll get used to it. I’m surprised you can even keep up.”

I rolled my eyes. “Is that a dig at me being a girl?”

“Never.” He said while he was stuffing his mouth.

“What he means to say” Robbie was coming to Frank’s defense before he dug a hole too deep to climb his way out of “is we’ve been training for a while, so for you to be able to jump into our routine right away surprises us.”

“Mhmm.” Like I believed that, I thought bitterly. But I decided to let it go. I had plenty of time to tease them later. “So what’s going to happen after we eat?”

Frank shrugged, “Probably some sparring.”

I groaned. “I don’t want to add bruises to my sore ass.” I took a huge bite from my food. I was starving.

“You’re sure not ladylike, are you?” Tommy muttered looking at his food.

I narrowed my eyes on him. I threw a biscuit at him. “What gave it away?”

“You’re stuffing your face like this is the first time you’ve eaten in days.” Frank was trying to hide a smile, but he was failing miserably.

“I’m starving. We ran for like 30 miles.”

Frank laughed. “You’re exaggerating. We only ran for like 13. That’s easy.”

“That’s a half marathon!” I shot back.

“You’re easy to provoke.” His amusement with me made me unhappy.

My eyes narrowed even more.

“Your flirting is making me sick.” Robbie muttered beside me.

I turned my narrowed eyes onto him. “Do you want me to turn my attention to you?”

Robbie rolled his eyes. “You don’t scare me.”

Before I knew what I was doing, I smacked the fork right out of his hand that had been bringing the food to his mouth. He turned his face to mine.

“What the fuck!” Tommy shouted in the background when the food and the fork hit him.

Robbie didn’t scare me either, so I wasn’t going to back down from him.

“You’re going to be my sparring partner today.” Robbie made it sound like a threat somehow.