Chapter 19

The car ride was boring. Mason wouldn’t let me drive and he wouldn’t let me change the station. I couldn’t take the baseball commentary anymore. I understand that men have this weird obsession when it comes to anything competitive, but I could only take it for so long.

“So I heard this rumor.” I started. I might as well ask him about the murders since I had nothing else to do. Plus, he couldn’t walk away from me when we were stuck in a car together.

“That’s never a good way to start a conversation.” He commented. He didn't take his eyes off the road. “What is it?”

“That the body I found wasn’t the first one.”

He chuckled. “And where did you hear that?”

“Frankie.”

Mason rolled his eyes. “He’s blowing smoke up your—.“ He stopped when I shot him an evil eye. “What I meant to say is that he’s a big fat liar.”

I rolled my eyes. “Something tells me that you’re not telling me the whole truth.”

He shrugged, “It’s not my job to tell you the whole truth.”

“So you admit that you were lying. There have been more murders.”

He groaned, “Look. Just keep that curious little nose out of it. If there were murders happening on pack lands, wouldn’t I be taking care of it?”

“I don’t know. Are you taking care of it?”

He pulled off the highway.

“I thought we were going home.”

“I’m hungry.” He mumbled unhappily.

“You just want me to stop talking about it.” I knew that’s what he was doing. It was classic avoidance. He’d take me to someplace where I couldn’t talk about it, and hope that I would forget and wouldn't ask him when we got back on the road.

Unfortunately, his plan worked. After my belly had been filled, I fell asleep as soon as we got back into the car. I barely remembered him getting us back onto the highway. I didn’t wake up until we were back at the house.

He smiled triumphantly at me before he got out of the car and then carried a couple bags with him into the house.

“Crap.” I muttered before I got out of the car and followed him in with the other two bags left behind.

It felt like I had to run to catch up to him. “So which room’s mine?” I asked when I got to the top of the stairs. I could see Mason at his room, down the hall.

“Right next to mine.”

Are you serious? I groaned. I definitely didn’t want to be in the room next to his.

Murders weren’t the only rumors I heard. There were also rumors about the women Mason would bring to the house. I didn’t want to know about it, but if my room was right next to his, I’d probably hear it.

“I left the door open.” Then he disappeared into his room.

When I walked in the room, I was pretty disappointed. The walls were white and there was one dresser. The only thing that I really liked about the room was the four-poster bed and the windows. There was a door on the wall that separated my room from Mason’s. I did not need a room that connected with Mason’s. I hesitated at the door for a minute, before opening it.

To my surprise, it was a walk in closet. I was relieved to know that I’d have more than one wall separating the rooms.

I would definitely have to unpack my bedroom stuff since I was probably going to be staying here for a while.