Chapter Twenty Three

Guys, I don't think someone would waste their time reporting all the comments with curse words. Just imagine how stupid it would seem;

» living in your parents basement, unemployed with a five o'clock cheese doodle shadow around your mouth. You're rapidly clicking on the button, 'report', as you slowly and evilly smirk. You feel like some bandit stealing money from a local bank. "Oh, hi, Karen1023 (made it up)! Would you like me to wash your mouth with soap?" You click the report button, adrenaline rushing through your veins. "I guess you could say I live on the rebellious side."
______________________________

Carter's Point of View

"Please! Just leave me be," I mumbled as I sat at the edge of my bed. I had been moping all day, not once daring to unlock my door.

"You skipped breakfast and lunch! Come downstairs so you can eat dinner with us," My mom demanded. I stayed still as I ignored her yelling and the continuous knocks. The noises soon died down, telling me she had given up on my rude behavior. Another day of misery and sorrow; nothing new here.

I picked at my baggy pajamas, wanting to do nothing but cry. I didn't know what to do at this point. I don't want to lose him, I really don't. I told him I loved him; he must think I am insane-partly true. All that time I had to spend with him, I can't even deny the feeling when he kissed me.

I jumped at the sudden sound of another knock. "Carter, please come out," My mom begged once again. I sat there, my chin beginning to tremble. "We can talk!"

"There's nothing to talk about." I tried to respond in a monotone voice, which slightly failed. I slowly stood up and hesitantly walked towards my door.

"I'm sure there are a ton of thoughts on your mind. You just need to let them out, sweetheart," She reassured me. I unlocked my door and stared at her.

"There's nothing I need to talk about," I repeated as I walked past my mom and headed downstairs. My plan was to go out for a walk, but I know I wouldn't be allowed, not for a while. So, I simply sat on the couch, grabbed the remote and turned on the TV.

"Your dinner will be in the fridge," My mom said as she walked into the kitchen to finish eating her meal. I continued to flip through the channels, feeling way out of it, more than I had before. I landed on the TLC channel and decided to leave on what show was playing; which seemed to be Long Island Medium. I set the remote down and pulled my legs up to my chest, placing my chin on my right knee. I closed my eyes, drifting off into some other state of mind.

All I seemed to think of was Harry. Terrifying images of him practically covered in blood had flashed through my mind, sending my body to shock as an abnormal reaction. After a gasp escaped my lips, I took a minute to calm my unsteady heartbeat before I glanced around the living room. I sighed and looked back at the TV, furrowing my eyebrows at what I saw. I know I didn't put the news on, I turned the TV on not even five minutes ago.

As the reporter talked, a picture appeared next to him. My eyes widened, my jaw nearly dropping to the floor. The headline read, Deranged Runaway Keeps Town On Full Watch. I couldn't believe the mugshot of Harry was on TV. Most importantly, I was astonished, the fact that he escaped prison without getting caught.

I sat there, my mind racing with so many thoughts. How could it be? Where is he now? And just as I came across that one question, it suddenly clicked.

"The tunnel," I whispered to myself. I had risen to my feet so quickly, that it took a long minute for the dizziness to fade away. Once it faded, I ran for the door, not caring if I was barefoot or cold. I needed to know he was alright, that they hadn't provoked him even more. I just pray they won't catch him at any time.