Chapter Thirty One

Sorry for waiting so long :(
________________________________________

Carter's Point of View

"Harry?" I whispered, my eyes never leaving the sight in front of me. "Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" I asked as I stared at the blood red words carelessly written across the side of the tunnel.

Welcome Back.

"Yeah. . ." He responded. "I see it." He suddenly grabbed a hold of my hand, clutching onto it before pulling me behind a large tree.

"Why are we hiding?" I questioned. I stayed behind him as he peeked out from behind the tree, cautious to our surroundings.

"I know they can sense us. They know we've come," He muttered. My stomach twisted in a knot, nearly making me nauseous and lightheaded. I stayed quiet, expecting something to happen. But, I was not the least bit expecting a loud roar of an engine to sound from behind us. Slowly and nervously, we both turned our heads and glanced over our shoulders.

A bright light shone on us, immediately causing us to squint and shield our eyes. When I got better look at it, my eyes widened. It was taller than I expected, and odd looking.

"Holy fuck," Harry spoke, grabbing my hand once again. He pulled me away from the mysterious looking tractor and ran towards the tunnel.

"Are you crazy? I can't go back in there!" I shouted over the loud noise coming from tractor.

"We won't," He replied, picking up his pace. We made it to the red-bricked tunnel, and all I could think was, we're trapped. "Hurry, start climbing."

"O-Oh," I stammered, quickly processing how to actually start climbing the brick wall. I hesitantly placed my hand in the rectangle-shaped hole where a brick was missing; and Harry helped by lifting me up for a head start. I continued climbing to the top of the tunnel, almost making it when my hand slipped, merely causing me to lose my balance. I gasped, my breathing increasing as I clutched on to bricks sticking out.

"You're ok, Carter," Harry shouted to me, patting my ankle in-odd-reassurance. "I'm here to catch you if you fall, babe," He slightly chuckled.

"Now's not the time to make cheesy jokes, Harry," I stated, trying to figure out how to successfully crawl on top of the tunnel. I jumped at the loud bang coming from below up.

"Do not look down, Carter," Harry instructed as I simply nodded. I managed to crawl my way to the top, Harry following my little path. I stood on my feet and glanced back at Harry, both of us slightly panting.

"What," I inhaled, "the heck," I inhaled some more, "was that!" I questioned, resting the palm of my hands on my knees. He gulped and shrugged before taking in the scenery of the top of the tunnel.

"Whatever it was, I'm glad it chased us," He stated, referring to the dark lit scenery.

"It's quite breathtaking," I said as I examined the city from afar; completely forgetting about the odd tractor that tried to kill us not even twenty seconds ago.

"You're quite breathtaking," I heard him whisper in my ear from behind. At that moment, my legs nearly turned into jelly, my heart nearly pounding out of my chest.

"I think you're more breathtaking, Harry," I confessed, turning around to face him.

"I think you're a bit confused, darling," He smirked, gripping onto my waist and pulling me against his chest. I shook my head in disagreement. I smiled and stared into his eyes, but the smile was quick to wipe off my face. "What? What's wrong, Carter?"