A Chance

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I tried my best to focus

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I tried my best to focus. My shield was the only thing that could protect my family and our friends from the dark power of Jane. Standing in the forest with my husband, his brother Emmett and their friends Garrett and Katrina, I tried my best to listen to what she had to say. Katrina had the power to cause a painful, electric shock-like jolt in anyone she touched and she had learnt to control it over the years, now, it was my turn. My shield could be projected, and if I learnt how to do it, then I could be useful in the fight. We had been telling ourselves it wouldn't come to that, but none of us was delusional. It was the Volturi we were talking about. Caius. In a few days, we might all be dead.

However hard I tried, I couldn't project my shield far enough, and the training session weren't leading us anywhere.

"I think she needs something to motivate her," Katrina said.

I was confused, at first, until I saw Edward's face.

"No," I quickly disapproved. Edward would only get hurt, I wasn't ready to even try.

"It's alright, I can take it," Edward said, but he didn't look convincing.

I tried to stop them, but as always, no one listened to me.

"Edward I'm not ready to..." I couldn't even finish my sentence that he was already on the ground. He let out a gasped of pain and sat on the ground, facing me, half amused, totally in pain. "I'm sorry I said that I wasn't ready!"

"Dude, you're not motivating her," Emmett said.

"You wanna try?" Edward asked, annoyed by his brother's comment. They were like two brothers fighting.

Emmett raised his hands, silently signalizing us he didn't want to volunteer.

I raised my head to the sky, or rather the clouds, and saw Alistair was up in a tree, watching us. Alistair hadn't been around much, it was pretty clear he preferred to be alone, and would be anywhere else right now if it weren't for Carlisle.

"Let's do it again," I sighed.

"Alright," Katrina shrugged. "This one's full power."

Edward's face would've turned white if it weren't already as white as it could get. Great, even my husband didn't believe in me. I took a deep breath, knowing perfectly that I was being silly, Edward believed in me, I could do this.

I closed my eyes and tried again. I could feel it, see its color, like Katrina had told me to picture it, and I could see it emanating from my body. Projecting it was the hardest part. But I managed to envelop Edward's body in it, so when Katrina used her powers on him, he didn't react.

"It's painful but it's bearable," Edward said.

I smiled, proud of myself. I could see he was proud too, and the others were relieved. Me, being able to use my shield, was a heavy weight removed from our shoulders. And I couldn't wait to see Jane's face when her powers will be rendered useless.

"Edward." Carlisle appeared behind Katrina. "Toshiro just arrived."

We all followed Carlisle back into the house. All of our allies were in the living room. Carmen and Eleazar, Tanya, the Irish vampires Liam, Maggie and Siobhan, the Amazons, Zafrina and Senna, Carlisle's friends from Egypt, Amun, Kebi, Benjamin and Tia, Jasper's friends Charlotte and Peter, even Stefan and Vladimir joined us. Even though the Romanian vampires only came to witness the Volturi's demise, it was two more allies joining our cause.

Standing next to the window was who I assumed to be Toshiro and a blonde young girl was by his side. Toshiro seemed angry and scared. The girl didn't seem... anything. I couldn't tell if she was annoyed to be here or not.

"I was attacked by the Volturi, Carlisle! If it weren't for メービスI would be dead right now," he yelled at my father-in-law.

I looked at the girl who had apparently fought and won against the Volturi. She was young and small. She seemed defenseless. And then I heard it, the heartbeat. She was human.

"How?" I didn't realize I was speaking until I spoke. The entire room turned to look at me. "How did you fight off the Volturi?" Maybe she was it. The one person that could save us all.

The girl, whose back was facing Toshiro and who had her arms crossed over her chest, turned to look at me. Her eyes fell on my feet and slowly moved up to my face, like she was analyzing me, trying to figure out if she could trust me or not. I say that, but I had no idea. I couldn't read her face. I couldn't see how she was feeling.

"We ran very fast," she replied with a strong English accent.

It was clear she was lying, but it was also clear she wasn't going to tell us anything about herself.

"Did you come to help us?" I asked.

"She's not staying," Toshiro said. "She just wanted to make sure I arrived here safely, since last time I left alone I got attacked."

"I'll help you," she spoke up before she turned her back to us and starting looking out the window.

She clearly surprised Toshiro, but he seemed relieved she had changed her mind. And to be honest, I was relieved too.

"What can you do?" I insisted. "You're human. What can you do?"

She didn't reply right away. A few seconds after I asked, she turned her head to look at me.

"Nobody here is human," she merely said. Again, I couldn't tell anything from her tone. She was like a robot. Emotionless.

"So you have gifts?" I asked. I couldn't let it go, I had to know how she could help us, I had to know if there was a chance we would survive this.

"Humans have gifts," she said. "I have powers and abilities. Like vampires have speed and strength. I have my own capacities."

She looked like she was about my age, even younger maybe, but she sounded so old.

I understood clearly what she was saying. She was something else, not human, not vampire. An entire other species.

"What are you?" I dared ask.

She stared at me in silence for a few seconds, before she looked away, without giving me any answer.

"Don't worry," Toshiro said. "With her on our side, we will all live to see another day."

I don't know why, but I had a feeling even he didn't know what she was. Maybe Edward knew. Maybe he heard it in her thoughts.

If I were still able to sleep, I'd say that I'll sleep better now that メービスis here.