The Ballet Dancer

The room was poorly lit

The room was poorly lit. It was night outside, and the lights were flickering. The room was a small square, and mirrors covered two of its walls. The floor was made of light wood. The windows were high and rectangular. They had bars on them. They were so old, one could probably pull on one of the three bars and it would come out. If one managed to reach that high, that is. There was a piano in one corner of the room, and a stereo in another. An iPod had been plugged in and music filled in the room. It was an entire orchestra.

A young woman was dancing in the middle of the room. She was completely focused on the music and on her movements. She forgot everything else. She couldn't hear the rain hitting the windows, she couldn't hear the ear piercing noise the bars made because of the wind, she couldn't hear the floor squeak under her feet.

Her pink shoes travelled on the parquet. Every time she would wear them, she would leave New-York and dance her way to another city, to another world. She would leave that ridiculously small room that made her feel imprisoned, she would forget who she was, what she had been through and what she had to do.

And after she was done, she sat on the floor, taking in the silence and the loneliness. Thinking about what she had been through and what she had to do. She would shove her pink shoes in her bag, between her laptop and her law essay due for the next day.

She danced in the studio when everybody else was gone. Between 8PM 10PM.

That night, that rainy night, the moon was full, and she was wearing a black jacket, a pair of jeans and black boots. She wrapped herself in her huge red scarf before exiting the studio and stepping into the wet streets.

She walked hastily, looking at the ground and clenching at her bag, half of her face buried in her scarf. She got into a taxi and, as usual, the driver was surprised to hear the address she gave him.

The yellow car drove its way to Park Slope, a neighborhood in northwest Brooklyn.

She thanked him politely, payed him, then, exited the car. She walked up the stairs to the front door and it took her a minute to find her keys.

As she was looking inside her bag, she heard someone walk up behind her. She gasped as she felt him move his hand on her waist. A second later, she felt a sharp object against her back, she guessed to be a knife.

"Scream and you die," he said.

She could barely breathe, screaming was all she wanted to do at this instant.

"Open the door," he ordered her.

She started to shake. She found her keys, and opened the door with difficulty because of her shaking hands. He pushed her inside and she fell on the ground. She turned around quickly to face him. The man looked like he was in his late forties. He was poorly dressed. He was wet because of the rain. He was wearing an old and used green jacket, grey jeans and brown boots. He put his hands in his left pocket and got out a gun.

"Give it to me," he said. He was obviously nervous, his hand was trembling.

"Wh- what?"

"Everything!" he yelled. "Your money, your jewels, everything of value."

She didn't mind giving him cash. She had plenty of money in the bank. But the jewels were her mother's and had been her grandmother's. Anything in the house that were of value belonged to her parents, and it was all she had left of them.

She nodded heretically, and started looking inside her bag.

"Hey, hey, what you doing?" he yelled.

"I'm looking for my wallet," she yelled back. Tears were starting to fall on her cheeks.

"Slowly," he said. "Slowly!"

The man, who had never used a gun before, never even once held one, pulled the trigger. He stared blankly at the young woman lying inert before him. He looked at the red whole on her forehead. Blood was spilling on the floor.

Suddenly, Alice was back in her living room. She looked around and saw her entire family was staring at her. She remembered a few minutes before she was listening to Renesmee play the piano, then, she ended up in that ballet studio in New-York and witnessed an innocent woman get killed.

"What did you see?" Jasper asked.

He was sitting right next to her, holding her hand. Her eyes moved from him to Edward, whom, from the look on his face, she knew to have come to the same conclusion as her.

"I saw their mate get murdered."