The Ballet Dancer (Part 6)

The taxi smelled bad. It was dark, despite the bright blue sky. The driver kept glancing at his mirror, suspicious about the dirty blonde girl he suspected was either crazy or homeless, or both. He couldn't help but wonder if the brown-haired woman, whose purse must have cost more than his salary, had kidnapped the poor teenager. Maybe they were sisters, he thought, maybe the blonde was a drug addict and her big sister had come to the rescue. As long as he got paid, he wouldn't ask any questions, why bother anyway?

The blonde teenager clung to Winter's left arm and wouldn't let go. She was still shaking, still afraid of 'the voices'. "They never stop" she said. "They're not talking to me." Her eyes kept moving as if she was looking for something or someone. She looked like she was listening to something nobody else could hear.

"I don't know," she said, when Winter tried to get her inside the taxi. "I don't know who to believe."

Some voices were telling her to run away, others to follow her destiny. None of it made sense, of course, but Winter knew what 'destiny' was, and it was her understanding that being with her mates would magically fix it all. Of course, she was nervous about getting the confused teenager into a room filled with murderous vampires, but who else was going to help?

The yellow car stopped in front of a hotel which looked like it had always been there. It was a strange sight to see the old white establishment between two dark modern buildings.

Winter paid the taxi driver and got out of the car, not without difficulty. The girl was still clinging onto her.

"We shouldn't go in there, it's too dangerous," she said with a trembling voice.

"It's gonna be fine," Winter replied, trying to convince her new friend, but herself as well.

As soon as they stepped into the building, both of them shivered. It was so cold and the atmosphere was so unfamiliar and strange, it was as if they had just entered a new world. The hall was big and empty. There was no one at the reception and silence filled the room.

"They're here," the teenager whispered. "I don't know..."

"Don't know what?"

"I don't know if I should be here."

"Could you let go of my arm?" Winter asked. "You're hurting me."

She winced as, instead of letting go, her 'friend' squeezed harder.

"We shouldn't be here," she whispered again. "Death lives here."

"Yes, I know," Winter mumbled.

"Hello!"

A loud voice echoed in the white hall. Both girls jumped, startled. A woman wearing only red had just entered the room and started walking towards them with a bright smile on her face.

"Welcome to The New World!" She looked strangely happy, which made both girls even more nervous.

"Um," Winter said. "I'm looking for someone. I mean... I'm..."

"Winter!"

She quickly looked up and saw Marcus and Caius standing at the top of the stairs. The blond vampire looked highly unhappy. The next second, he was standing right in front of her.

"Who is that?" he asked, anger obvious on his face.

"I... I don't know," she stuttered, intimidated.

"Why would you take her here?"

"I... she found me, I...."

"Calm down, brother," Marcus said, appearing behind him, placing his hand on his shoulder. "Who is your friend, dear?" he asked, he was always nicer.