Chapter 4 (Late practise)

That day, he returned to the gym. Nishinoya was helping Hinata with his receives, but you guessed he did it by instinct. His explanations didn't make any sense. When you played volleyball, you used to like receiving a lot, so if you were to join a team, you'll probably be a libero or a defensive player.

You had fun with Nishinoya trying to nag the first years. Tsukishima had a poker face while Yamaguchi sweat dropped. It was the first time you have talked to Noya, and you two got along well. Actually, he was your height, maybe a few centimetres taller.

Kageyama served again, and this time Hinata was able to receive it, not too well but he at least kept it connected. Nishinoya complimented him, while you clapped from behind them.

"(Y/N)-san, you said you were good at receiving, right?" Noya asked, looking at you. You nodded, but said that you have never been in a team. "Try receiving one" He said, passing the ball to Kageyama on the other side of the court. You nodded again and positioned yourself in the middle. Kageyama thought of giving you a not so strong serve, but when he saw your position and the look on your eyes, he changed his mind. He shouldn't underestimate you.

He hit the ball, and at great speed it went to the other side of the court; Kageyama was aiming to the corner. You had good reflects, so you quickly run to the corner and managed to hit the volleyball, although it was a bit deflected. You turned around to see your team with eyes and mouth wide opened. Nishinoya had sparkling eyes as he approaches you.

"That was an incredible receive!" He exclaimed. "Shoyo, you had a great manager at receiving and you still didn't know how to?" Hinata tensed. "B-But I didn't know (Y/N)-san played volleyball too" he seemed a bit surprised. "Yes, I play volleyball, but actually I've never played with a team" you answered, passing your hand through your hair as a sign of your embarrassment.

Kageyama, Hinata, Nishinoya and you stayed until 8 in the gym. The rest of the team left earlier; the third years because they had to study, and the second years because they were tired. And of course, Tsukishima always tried to leave early, followed by Yamaguchi, so it was no surprise. Even though, you had fun with the three boys, chatting and practising with them. You also told Nishinoya all you knew about him, and how you started playing volleyball. He was touched by all your affection. When it got late, you suggested closing the gym and going home to rest. Hinata and Kageyama left to the same way, while you and Nishinoya stood there, waving at them.

"So, (Y/N)-san,... Where do you live?" He asked "Oh, is actually close to the school, over that way" you said, signaling the direction of your home. "I live over that direction too. It is late so, will you let me take you to your house?" He offered politely. You giggled "Of course, if you don't mind"

You realised that the two of you lived in the same neighbourhood. He was surprised that he had never seen you before. You reached your apartment block, and you thanked him for accompanying you as you waved your goodbyes. You saw him walking away from the distance, already eager to see him again tomorrow. You turned away and was about to enter, but as you were looking for the keys in your bag, you heard him running towards your direction.

"(Y/N)-SAN, WAIT!" He yelled, surprising you. "W-What?" You murmured, looking at him. "Your phone number!" He exclaimed, while panting. You deadpanned, but soon started to giggle. He awkwardly corrected himself "I-I mean, would you, if you don't mind, give me your phone number, p-please?" He had a serious face however you could tell he was very nervous. His expression made you laugh.

"Of course, Noya-senpai, no need to be so serious" you took out a piece of paper and a pen, writing your phone number and heading it to Nishinoya. He smiled, thanking you. "I'll text you later so you can add me to your contacts too" you nodded.

"And also" he continued "I didn't have the chance to invite you to an ice cream today, so what about meeting up this Saturday and go for one?" He asked you, with a smile from ear to ear and waiting impatiently for your answer. "I'd love to!" you said, giving him your warmest smile. You watched his face going to a dark shade of red as he nodded. "O-okay then, I'll get going now" he awkwardly turned around. "I'll see you tomorrow, (Y/N)-san" he slowly walked away, waving his hand. You waved him too, turning around and entering your house.

Meanwhile, unknown to you, Nishinoya had his hands covering his whole face, trying to cool it down. But it was no use, the image of your smiling face never leaving his mind. 'OMG, how can someone be so cute?' He thought. What's more, he couldn't believe he actually asked you out on a date, but again, you probably didn't think of it as a date. But since he started to get to know you that afternoon, he was sure his heart was pounding harder than usual.

His hand was holding tightly the piece of paper with your number on it. He sighed loudly as he reaches his house, which was a few blocks away from yours. He entered his house and ran to his room, taking his phone and sending you a text message. It was a simple 'Hello' but it strangely made him nervous to press the send bottom. He thought all night about you, wondering what was happening to him.

You took the elevator and was walking to your apartment door, when suddenly the door from the end of the corridor opened, reveling Hitoka. You smiled at her, happy to see her, but she was giving you a strange look. "(Y/N)-chaaaaaan~, who was that guy you were talking to at the gate?~" she smirked at you, hitting you lightly with her elbow. She had seen Nishinoya and you talking from her window which was overlooking the street. You blushed at her remark. Let's just say it was hard to convince her that you two were only friends.