Chapter 17 (Stumble)

After meeting the guys, you hurried to the other gym. You quickly checked on your phone and saw that your next match started in exactly four minutes. That's living to the limit, gurl.

You went to your court and greeted again the girls. "Come on, (Y/N)! We are about to start!" Yui nagged you for almost being late. You apologised and turned to see the team who you were about to play against.

While your team was composed of eight girls, they were fifteen. You shivered. 'They must be from a powerhouse school' you thought. Your team managed to win the first round, but that doesn't mean you were strong. The lack of experience and coordination of your team was noticeable for almost everyone watching.

You just had luck on the previous match.

"Hey, are you (Y/N)?" You heard a voice from behind you. It was a voice you had long forgotten. Surprised, you abruptly turned around to find a person. The girl calmly stood there, looking down at you since she was much taller than you. Her long and shiny blonde hair was collected into a ponytail as in her red and white volleyball uniform could be read 'Niiyama'.

"Naomi?" You murmured. It was clear that it was her. She even grew a few centimeters more in the past two years.

"Heh, after all it makes sense that a shrimp end in a mediocre team" She groaned, putting her hands on both sides of her hips in an arrogant manner.

With that, tons of memories came to your mind, as you remembered your second year in Chidoriyama.

.
..
...

* Two years ago *

You walked towards the volleyball gym of Chidoriyama with your just bought volleyball in your hands. You've started playing just a few weeks ago, with one of your friends.

After practising for an hour in the park where you two used to go, you suggested your friend about joining the volleyball club.

"That's not a good idea" Akane, your third year friend replied.

"Why not? We would be able to play on a team and we would have a gym where we could practise every day" You told her, with your eyes already shining imagining the scenery.

"No" She boldly responded. "You know who is there, right?" You tilted your head, not knowing what she was saying. Suddenly, you remembered.

"Wait, you mean Naomi?" You wondered. Akane nodded and started to bounce the volleyball. "You know what will happen to you if you join them" She kept trying to convince you.

"But I really would like to play with a team" You pouted. You knew that Naomi wasn't the nicest person. On your first year and Akane's second year, she used to hang out with you two, but she started to get along with the spoiled girls in your school. After that, she became a presumptuous person and stopped talking to you two.

She started to insult and pick on you, mainly about your height, and she used the secrets Akane and you shared with her. She betrayed you two, and that hurted you.

Even after that, you wanted really bad to play. Volleyball was your new found hobby and it was really fun to you. If you could play, was it really important that someone you not get along with was there?

So, even after Akane's argues to prevent you from going, you went to the gym. Even if you had to deal with some insults, you'll endure it and enjoy the two years that was left playing volleyball.

Or that was what you thought.

"Who is that dwarf?" You heard a first year girl said. "Hey, she's your senpai. Although, that's true. She is really short" Another girl said.

"What do you want?" The coach asked you while approaching you. You stood in the door, too awkward to walk inside. "Did you come to see us practise?" You started to fidget a bit when she came in front of you, staring down at you with a judging face.

"Actually,... I came here to join. If it's still p-possible" You bravely continued with what you went there for. The coach gave you a confused and surprised look.

"You can join if you want to, but we have taller players so you won't play in matches" She calmly said, while noting something in her notebook.

You thought of it a little. Even if they didn't let you play in official matches, you could be able to practise there every day. It was worth it. Or at least better than the park.

Just as you were about to open you mouth to agree, someone stop you. "Eh? (Y/N)? What are you doing in a place like this?" You turned around to see Naomi, who have stopped training in order to talk to you.

You gulped. "I...I wanted to join the club" You were able to say. The blonde girl gave you a doubtful look, like wondering if she had heard it wrong.

"What are you saying?" She said. "This team is one of the strongest in the prefecture, and we can't tolerate weak players, right coach?" She gave the coach a smile, waiting for her to kick you out of there. By then, many of the girls of the team had stopped playing and were listening to your conversation.

"But I've been practising, and I receive really well" You insisted, now staring at the old woman with the notebook in her hands.

The coach let out a sigh. Tired of you interfering the practice, she concluded. "That's true, volleyball is a sport of height" Another girl from the team, who seemed to be the captain agreed. "You can't play like that"

"Yes, she would only be a burden"

No matter how much effort you put in and how much you practise, it wasn't enough.

...
..
.

"You really don't know when to give up, (Y/N)" Naomi said.

You fell into the floor, staring with wide eyes at the scoreboard.

They won two sets with an abysmal difference.