Chapter 3

By the time dawn crept in and the little critters all came out from the nighttime slumber, the women, I included, were already awake fixing up supper in an almost hushed tone, not wanting to wake the sleeping children, 'cause God forbid we don't need children running around this early in the day.

While we did the cooking, the men saddled up their horses and fixed what needed fixing on the wagons, and not long after when everything got sorted out, we took back to the roads, fighting against the dust wind and rocky path.

Because of the bumpy roads, the wagon jerked. Back and forth, back and forth it went. It was the same as yesterday, which ended up leaving me with an upset stomach. But today, we ain't having none of that, for I ain't staying inside, no siree.

After I'm done fixing the day's meals with Ava, I'm walking along the trail with the others. I needed the exercise anyway, and if Ava wanted, she can tag along too, for if you ask me, she needed it too. Being cooped up inside this here wagon all day, ain't gone do us no good.

Dishing out the leftover beans from this morning's supper, I handed Ava and Pa a bowl before dishing one out for myself. Mealtime was important in our family. Usually, after grace, we could chat about ole times, but ever since we've been on this wagon, mealtime was no longer the same. For one, Pa had to put up with Ava's constant nagging. I sometimes feel sorry for the ole man, but then again, sometimes I find myself complaining.

And as if on cue, "I don't like it out here," Ava said. "I told you from the start Pa, this isn't a good idea, we shouldn't have come. I have a bad feeling, but y'all are too stubborn to listen to me." When no one paid her no mind, Ava groaned in frustration.

When I looked over at Pa, there was no denying the sadness lingering in his eyes. All these years that man does nothing but tried his best to keep us safe and happy. I just wish Ava could be more considerate in her choice of words. But as always, Pa usually plastered on a false laugh and brushed everything under the rug.

"Oh hush up and stop whining sweetheart. We'll get to Kansas safe; we took a safe route," Pa ensured her before slurping up the last bit of beans then making his way to the front of the wagon with Joseph.

When Pa took the lease from Joseph, I rendered it time to feed my starving brother. Handing him a big ole bowl of cold beans, "Here's your breakfast Joseph," I said. Joseph took it without question, and before I knew it, I was being handed an empty bowl, accompanied by a loud burp from Joseph's full stomach.

The rest of the God-given day went by rather slowly if you ask me. Ava had cooled down from earlier mishaps, and together with Anna, we spent the day walking, making silly jokes, and talking until I mentioned the kind-looking gentleman from last night. I told her to go talk to the man, but she remained shy. Well, that was until he decided to come over himself, wanting to speak to her.

And when the afternoon sun went down, leaving behind an orange in its wake, I decided it was time I go meet with the handsome gentleman for myself. Walking toward the two, I seemed to have caught Ava by surprise, for her chattering quickly came to an end when she saw me. It's probably rude of me to disturb them, but I'm sure Pa wouldn't mind me doing so.

"Ava!" I greeted with a smile, "I see you've made a new friend." When she refused to acknowledge the man's presence, I stretched out a hand and said, "Hi there, the name's Sabella. Ava's youngest sister. And who might a fine gentleman like you be?"

The man seemed to be taken aback by my boldness and colored skin. When he glanced up and down at my presence, seemingly unsure if shaking my hand would be the right thing to do, he glanced over to Ava, who nodded her head, before telling him that I am, in fact, her sister.

After that, it didn't take him long to happily shake my outstretched hand in return. "It's a pleasure meeting you, ma'am, the name's David," he greeted almost gleefully. "Ava told me all about you; forgive me. It's just, you're not what I expected, that's all."

Not what he expected. It was understandable, I've heard much worse. Besides, David doesn't seem bad. I mean, his dimpled cheeks and scanty appearance appeared too innocent for him to be one of those rude gentlemen I've bumped into back home. David might be curious, I assumed.

"Oh, did she now?" Arching a brow, I looked over at Ava only to have her giving me the brightest blush I haven't seen in the longest time. We chatted some more. And with time, I came to realize that David was, in fact, a welcoming person. Despite his charms, I think Ava liked him. And I must say, by the side glances he gave her whenever she wasn't looking, I had a strong feeling he liked her too, so when Ava decided to invite him for dinner tonight with us, I didn't bother to object. It might be a bit early but, why not? I'm sure Pa would love to meet him, and Joseph too.

When evening stepped in, the wind picked up and the stars were as bright as ever. I came back to our wagon alone and had left Ava with David back at his wagon, which stood only but a few yards away from ours.

I told Pa and Joseph about David, and how Ava invited him to have dinner with us. Pa didn't mind; he seemed rather happy that maybe Ava finally found someone. Joseph, on the other hand, was quite skeptical, but he still helped me in preparing the meals. We were having sweet potatoes.

"Joseph!" I called, dishing out the last bit of sweet potatoes from the small fireside Joseph had built. "Can you spread the blanket on the ground?"

Joseph tsked from behind, "I already did it," he said, almost annoyed. "I don't see why she had to invite -"

"Oh no no no," I interrupted, handing Joseph a few dishes filled with our nighttime meals. "We ain't having none of that. Now, where's Pa?"

Joseph tsked for a second time, "He's talking to Mr. Boone," he replied.

"Who's he?" I couldn't help but ask. Pa never mentioned any Mr. Boone.

"Mr. Boone's in charge of leading the wagon train. Don't worry Pa's gonna be back before what's his name arrives," Joseph assured.

Ava and David came just in time before the potatoes were about to get cold. And although Joseph doesn't seem pleased with their lateness, I gave him the side-eye before shooing him away to go get Pa, who fell asleep inside the wagon.

"Good evening for the second time today, Miss. Sabella," David greeted with a tilt of his hat.

I nodded my head and smiled at his mispronunciation. "That's Miss. Sabella," I corrected him.

"Where's Pa? Why isn't he here?" Ava asked, trying to change the uninteresting subject I was just about to start.

"He's in the wagon. Joseph went to fetch him," I replied, pointing toward the wagon. And before you know it, out came Pa and Joseph. Pa was smiling, despite the growing bags under his eyes. Joseph, on the other hand, still couldn't get loose of that terrible-looking scrunch upon his face.

Chuckling, "You must be David. It's a pleasure meetin' ya, son," Pa greeted with a handshake.

"Likewise, sir. I'm honored to meet you. I've heard so much about you," David replied. However, when David turned toward Joseph, there was no denying the growing tension. Joseph even refused to shake the poor bastard's hand.

To ease the tension between the two of them, I had to do something. "Well, let's eat; I'm starving." I held Joseph's hand and pulled him over to the spread blanket as the rest followed behind.

For the rest of the evening, Pa and David chatted. Turns out, David's a wheelwright, just like Pa. I think that gave Pa more reasons to like the poor bastard, but Joseph, not so much since he hadn't said a word to him since he got here. Ava didn't look too pleased by Joseph's actions, but she didn't say anything and Joseph didn't seem to care.

After dinner, we had all said our goodbyes, and David went on his merry way with promises of returning to Ava when the day broke.