Chapter 10

A quiet day passed since we were captured by these Indian savages, leaving almost everyone from our wagon train dead. They kept a few of us alive: seven to be exact, three men and four women. Out of thirty-four, only seven survived. The savages left a few injured men behind. I'm pretty sure they're dead by now.

I know we stand no chance of escaping. I could try, but it's like asking for death. Then again, maybe being dead wasn't so bad. It's not like I have anything to live for; Joseph's dead. These beasts took the only person I had left, leaving me empty and alone.

Since they took us, we've been walking in this Godforsaken sun. If I don't get something to drink, I might pass out. I had hoped they wouldn't break away from our path. That way, the cavalry would've found us. Unfortunately, the crazy savages drove us into the forest with no rest nor water.

While we were walking, there was this girl. Ruth, I believed her name to be. The poor woman couldn't walk any further, and those savages shot her. She died on the spot. What kind of heartless monster would do such a thing?

I guess if there's one thing I should be thankful for, that is Anna. Fortunately, she's among the survivors. Though I had not gotten the chance to speak to her, I can see her. Poor girl, she looks so terrified.

In my mind, a part of me has already given up. After all, I have nothing left to live for; there's no sunshine where I'm going. My whole family's gone. Even if I somehow manage to survive all this, how could I possibly rebuild my life? I'm just a woman, a woman of color. Life as I know it is over.

----------

After some time, the filthy Indian who's been pulling me finally stops, snapping me out of my thoughts. And when he spoke, goddammit, he speaks perfect English.

"We rest here for the night," he said, hopping off the black stallion.

That's all I needed to hear. Exhausted, I collapse on the ground beneath me. Unfortunately, my chances of relaxation would be short-lived. The same Indian is walking toward me. Bloody bastard, what the hell does he want?

He stops and stands, hovering mere inches away from where I've seated. Before I can contemplate his next moves, he grabs hold of my hands, harshly pulling me up. I wince back, but he paid me no mind. And to my shock, he starts to untie the ropes.

Being near him, my heart raced in beats. I catch a glance of him, staring intensely at me. His eyes no longer fill with disgust as they once did, this time, they were soft, but hatred still lurked.

"What are you going to do with us?" I snarled bitterly, not caring about the consequences if there were any. However, he gives me no answer.

When I made no indication to speak again, he went by his business, losing the tied ropes. The truth is, just like everyone, I'm afraid. It's normal to be scared. I need an answer, so I said again, "answer me." Like before, he completely ignores me and walks away. How dare he? A fit of biting anger floods my very core and my tongue along with it.

"Answer me, you filthy creature!" I shouted.

When he turned, it's like a force of lightning, quick and unexpected.
He came prancing toward me with an enraged look upon his face. Terrified, I took many steps back as fast as I could. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't fast enough.

Everything happened so quickly; I didn't see it coming, but I did feel the strike when it scraped across my face, full of strength, sending me crumbling against the dark, dirty ground.

I looked up, tears settled within my eyes but raged, and resentment showed through them as I stared at this beast. This is the second time he had slapped me, what the hell is with him? Maybe he likes hitting women.