Chapter 9

"Lord help us all," I muttered under my breath.

I stared at them with wide eyes, filled with fright, as I stumbled helplessly around the wagon while Joseph rode as swiftly as the horses could go.

There they were, racing as rapidly as they could to catch up to us, fearless expressions written on all of their faces as if they were not afraid to die. The only thing you could see was hungered, hungered for blood beneath their painted faces. All carried some form of weapon, whether it was a rifle, bow and arrows, or spears, many waving them high in the air as they rode.

They got closer and closer. Arrows, rifles, and spears aimed at us and the wagons behind ours, ready to attack. Suddenly, spears came flying from the skies. They missed our wagon but bolted through the others. A wagon that was behind us toppled as a spear flew through the wheel, breaking it to pieces.

"Take the gun and shoot as many as you could!" Joseph yelled.

"Where is it?!"

"Beside me, hurry up! If we're going to die here today, make it count!"

I scrambled for the rifle beside Joseph and stared at him for a long hard second, then went back, tears beginning to fall from my eyes as I laid down and took my position, aiming the gun at them. I knew I had to kill them, or at least try.

Pa had taught me how to use a gun before I could even walk. He had taught all of his children. Ava and I were the only girls who could shoot just as well as any men in our town, even better than most. I never thought I'd have to use it against someone, never imagined I'd have to kill them.

After a few seconds of hesitation, I took aim and fired. I missed. I never missed. I took aim again and fired a few more times, and again I missed. I gasped and scrambled for more bullets from the corner. Trying hard to steady my breathing, I took up aim again. I set my eyes on one particular savage; if my guts were right, he was their leader, and maybe, just maybe, they'd stop. I fired.

Hitting him instantly, sending him straight into the ground. But they didn't stop; they kept coming. Perhaps I was wrong, but I was so sure of it; his necklace that he wore was a chief's necklace. I'd learned that many years ago from the Indians that usually visited my father and would sometimes tell stories.

Getting back into concentration, I aimed the gun at another savage, missing him as he dodged the bullet. I saw some of them take down the other wagon that was behind us, leaving me and Joseph the ones behind. They came circling us; I ducked when I noticed an arrow was aiming at me. It flew into the wagon but thankfully hit a wooden case instead. I lay still and screamed at Joseph.

"Joseph, they're going to kill us!"

"Just hang in there; everything's going to be alright, I promise..." Silence. He stopped talking. Why did he stop talking?

The wagon swayed from side to side. I twisted my head around only to see that my brother had been hit by an arrow. There he was, clutching onto the arrow that was stuck to his side, still trying to keep us going, but failing miserably. I crawled my way to get by his side and take his place to steer the wagon. But I knew deep in my heart we wouldn't get out of this alive, so instead, I called to him.

"Give me your hand," I said, stretching out my hand so I could pull him in with me. He looked at me, eyes filled with disappointment but still gave his hand to me. Without delay, I grabbed him and pulled him in. No words were exchanged; we just hugged each other. When we pulled apart, the wagon tumbled and flipped to its side.

I opened my eyes. I couldn't see clearly; my vision was blurred, but I felt someone shaking me, then I heard his voice, Joseph.

"Bella? Can you hear me, please...please say something..." His voice began to tremble and break.

"I'm alright," I managed to mumble. Within a few seconds, my vision finally cleared. The arrow that was stuck on the side of his stomach was broken; I could tell he was in pain.

We both turned, only to see the savages walking towards us. There wasn't much we could do since we lay almost crushed inside the wagon.

"No, please... Let me go, Joseph, help me, let go of me, you filthy savages!" I kicked and screamed as hard as I could, but it wasn't of any use. Joseph and I held onto each other's hands as long as we could, but I quickly let go once I saw them on the other side hitting him, trying to get him out.

As soon as they had pulled me out and let go of my feet, I kicked one of them as hard as I could, but regretted it instantly. He pulled me up by my hair and slapped me, immediately hitting me back to the ground. I couldn't think straight, and my breathing had picked up. I heard them laughing above me; all I wanted to do was cry. My cheek stung, my entire body was in pain, I couldn't see my brother, I didn't know what they were going to do with us. My mind was flooded with horrors.

I didn't dare look at them, too afraid perhaps of what they might do, but I did look around, and what I saw pained my heart deeply.

Everyone that I could see from our wagon train was captured; most lay lifeless on the ground, men, women, and children. What kind of monster would kill children, I thought. The ones that weren't dead were being tied up, some women being tossed around by these heartless creatures, while some lay on the ground, like me, waiting to see what their fate would be.

I heard harsh footsteps behind me, stamping its way toward me. Before I could get another thought through my mind, I was pulled up again by my hair, this time with more force than the last, sending pain bolting through me. I screamed and tried to free the hands that were gripping onto me; he spun me around to face him.

Oh my god. I couldn't believe it.

There he stood, towering over me, one of the most beautiful men I'd ever laid eyes upon. His perfect copper-colored skin, long hair black as night, his muscles vast, but his eyes. His honey-filled eyes were overflowing with anger, hatred, and disgust as he stared into mine.

"I shot you," I whispered, but apparently he heard me. He yanked my hair backward, pulling me close in the process, and whispered into my ear.

"Next time, aim for the head."

"Please don't kill me," I mumbled back, my voice filled with dread.

All he did was look at me with more disgust, probably because I sounded selfish, and threw me back on the ground.

I lay there motionless, feeling his eyes sending daggers through me, but I refused to look up. Finally, he broke the silence and spoke in his native tongue to one of his men and left. Seconds later, someone came and tied my hands in front of me and lifted me up.

"Move!" the harsh voice shot at me. When I didn't comply, he pushed me to walk. I didn't know where he was taking me, and I didn't care. We walked past the wagon; I glanced at the side to see if Joseph was there, but he wasn't. All I could see was blood. I knew he was badly injured, but what I didn't know is what they did to him.

We reached not far from where I'd been. The savages that did survive had loaded up a wagon with all of our supplies, most of them were already on their horses. I gazed around; only a few of us were left, mostly women. I didn't see Joseph; all the others were dead. Where is he? We were all bound by our wrists; if they didn't kill us, we were probably going to be sold or kept as slaves. Either way, we were doomed.

I took a glance at all the dead bodies, and there he was, lying face down. Dead?

"Joseph? Oh no...Joseph! Let go of me, you savage!" I fought his hold, trying hard to escape. Finally, I managed to break free. I ran towards my brother and turned him over.

My screams echoed from every direction when I saw what had become of him. He was dead. The arrow had killed him.

"Get up," the same savage that I had escaped from came back and pulled me off of my feet.

"No. Leave me alone..." I cried. "Kill me; let me die!" My cries went unheard as he tied another longer rope around the one that was bound on my hands and gave it to the savage beast that was sitting on his horse, the one I had shot.

I cried my heart out for my brother as I was being pulled away to the only God knows where, to meet a fate worse than death.