Chapter 6

Noon. That's when we left. Jane was crying, her sister was crying. It was a sad sight to see; they couldn't even hug each other to say their goodbyes for fear of infecting her sister, who decided she wanted to come along with us. Jane was going to die eventually; there was nothing anyone could do about it. She wanted her husband to come with us, but he refused. Staying with her only meant he was going to die too, only he would be alone when he dies, cold and alone.

I peeped out at the back of the wagon to take one last look at Jane and her husband as we were leaving. She was waving goodbye to her sister, who in return waved back. I couldn't help but notice her husband lifting her hand and kissing it into her palm, smiling down at her. What a beautiful sight it was; he stuck by her side when she needed him the most, even though they both knew it was going to be a tragic ending.

"There, all set... You make a beautiful bride, Ava," I told my sister as I was setting the flower crown on her head that I had made for her to wear on her wedding day.

After we had left Jane and her husband three days ago, Ava and David had come to realize that they loved each other and wanted to get married. They were planning on waiting until we reached Kansas, but since there was also a preacher who came along with the wagon train, they decided, why not do it right here.

Since pa isn't here with us to witness her getting married, the three of us had a sit-down. Joseph, being as stubborn as he is, decided it was time that she had started a family of her own. It's not like she was getting any younger, and he didn't want to be the one to stand in her happiness. He was prepared to give her away in place of our father. He and David had also managed to put their differences aside; after all, we're all going to be a family.

Everyone from the wagon train gathered together and looked on as Ava walked down with Joseph holding her hand towards their way to David and the preacher.

There were no decorations, flower girls, or anything you would find at a typical wedding, just ordinary folks with smiling faces and raggedy clothes.

When Ava reached beside David, the preacher began speaking; words were exchanged between them, and within minutes, it was all over. They didn't have rings, but David had promised Ava she'll get hers when they arrived at Kansas.

When our small ceremony had finished, David carried Ava to his wagon as everyone cheered on, while the rest of us gathered together to have dinner and drinks.

Everyone circled the small mat we had spread out to put food on, some on tree trunks and stumps, while others on the ground, all talking and having a good time.

"That was beautiful," Mr. Boone said to me as we were sitting down on old tree trunks. "You know, it's nice having something like this along the way, especially with the rough time we're having," he continued.

"I know. It has put a little ease in everyone's mind, hadn't it... I only wish pa was here to see this; he would've been so proud of her... At least he got to meet David," I told him, circling the beans in my bowl that I held in my hand.

"Now. Don't get upset, child. It's your sister's big day," he said trying to cheer me up.

"I'm fine," I assured him with a small smile.

On the very next day, after the wedding was over, it was time to get going again. We were supposed to be in Kansas eight more days from now, but we got slightly held back with Jane and my sister's wedding.

I and Joseph had the wagon to ourselves since Ava was going to be in David's wagon since they're married now.

A few days had come to pass, every day was just like the one before it. Nothing exciting had happened, just silence and boredom throughout the days. I haven't had a bath in days; yesterday Joseph had told me today we'll be crossing a lake, maybe we'll have a short stop to get fresh water and clean up.

"How you doing back there?" Joseph said from upfront the wagon.

"I'm not doing too good," I told him, stretching out my head from the front opening of the wagon to have a good look at him. He turned to look at me.

"Oh, come on now, it can't be that bad. And don't forget, you're not the only one... We're not supposed to be too far from the lake..."

"How much longer?" I interrupted.

"...an hour or so, I reckon."

"There's something else..."

"And what's that?"

"I don't feel too well," and without uttering another word, I turned around inside the wagon and threw up on top of my blanket. Well, here's to a cold night ahead.

We had finally arrived by the lake. The water was flowing harshly along the stream; I and everyone looked on with concerned looks on our faces. It would be dangerous to try and cross over to the other side; the wagons might not make it.

I made my way out of the wagon and walked towards Joseph; he was talking to Mr. Bonne and a few other men. The closer I got, I could make out what they were saying.

"How do you suppose we're gonna get across the river?" I heard Joseph ask Mr. Bonne, staring directly into his face.

He was about to answer Joseph, but I got there and they all turned to look at me as if I were interrupting them. I looked at Joseph, who in return gave me the look to go away. So I left.

"You okay?" I turned around to see my brother, who had just come up to me. I was standing alone, staring blankly at the harsh water that was ripping through the stream.

"Yeah. What were you and the men talking about? And why didn't they want me to listen?" I asked as anger flowed through me.

"It's because I'm a woman, isn't it?"

"Yeah," he told me, looking down. "Don't blame me. I would've let you listen; it's just that they thought it would upset you."

"Yeah, okay... Well, what is it? When are we going to cross?"

"Just now. It's going to be difficult. But we have to be careful."

"Okay," I muttered, turning back to look at the lake.

About an hour had passed, and everyone had strapped their luggage tightly on their wagon so it won't fall in the lake when we cross. Some had to walk through the lake to help push the wagon from behind, while others tried to steer the horses in the right direction.

I sat beside Joseph in front of our wagon and stared ahead at the wagon in front of us as it took to the lake; we were right behind and ready to follow. Ava was behind us, and other wagons were behind them.

"Don't panic!" I said to Joseph, staring with wide eyes ahead as we plummeted into the lake.

The water was rough, and we could feel the rocks underneath as the wheels collided with them. I held on to the wagon as tightly as I could; waves came crashing on the wagon as we rocked back and forth.

I heard a crashing sound from behind us. When I looked back, what I saw sent panic through my entire body. The wagon behind Ava and David's had jammed into them, and within a few seconds, their wagon canted to the side and fell into the lake.

I looked in horror as I saw my sister submerged into the water. "Ava!?" I screamed in terror.