Chapter 18

Chaska and I were outside, me sitting between his legs as we cradled each other in our arms and watched the afternoon sun fading. It had been a long time since I last felt contented, happy even. However, as I rested my head against Chaska's shoulder, basking in his touch as his fingers traced the outlines of the creases on my forehead, I couldn't help but feel as though, despite being content, I didn't feel at home.

It had been several weeks since I found out I was with child. It should've been a celebration. Instead, our joy didn't last when the chief, Chaska's father, found out and shunned us from entering anywhere near the small hut we had made a home for ourselves.

Eventually, we were forced to leave our home and venture further from the village, but near enough to still be seen.

To make matters worse, Chaska's father proved himself to be a ruthless man despite his old age. And unfortunately, yesterday, he did the unthinkable, shocking us all. The chief had called a meeting with the elders, denouncing Chaska as his son. And although it broke Chaska's heart into pieces, knowing that his father no longer saw him as his son, Chaska still knelt to the old chief and thanked him for the gift of life before leaving and returning home to me.

We continued sitting in silence, Chaska humming an unfamiliar tune - music to my ears. But soon, the silence turned deafening. I took a glance over my shoulder only to see Chaska's eyes filled with sorrow. I sighed, wanting to comfort him, but there was only so much that I could do.

"Chaska," I said, thumbing against his lower lip, happy to see it twitch in a small smile. "Tell me, what's on your mind?"

"Hmm," he hummed and rested his head on my shoulder, making a playful pout. "I want to leave."

"What are you talking about?"

"Let's leave," he replied.

"Leave and go where?"

Chaska huffed out a breath, blowing away a strand of his hair that landed near his eye, and replied, "My father - he no longer sees me as his son. They'll never accept you, Bella, and our baby - our baby will be rejected and become an outcast. I know of a place where we can go - I've been there twice - it's far from here, where no one would find us. What do you say, Bella?"

What was there to say?

Simple; there was nothing to say because I would follow him wherever.

"Sabella?" Chaska's wondering eyes were on me. "Are you listening?"

"Hmm," I hummed, smiling as I took a glance toward the afternoon sun. Since Chaska brought me here, it has been the two of us - it'll forever be the two of us. If Chaska wanted to leave, we're leaving, and we're going to create a new home.

When I stared back at Chaska, those breathtaking, glistening eyes clashed with mine, enchanting, captivating as I leaned forward, my lips brushing against his shoulder, and inhaled. Chaska smelled of sandalwood. "I'll go anywhere with you," I answered. And hearing his laugh and feeling the warmth as he wrapped his arms tighter around me, I smiled and closed my eyes, knowing that no matter where we ended up, my home would forever be in his arms.

Together, we began walking back toward our hut, which was nestled comfortably between a riverbank and the dense forest trees. While walking, Chaska told me all about the place where he wanted us to go to.

It would be quite a few days until we got there, but by horse, it shouldn't be longer than a week. I must admit that at first, I was a bit skeptical because it was in the middle of nowhere, similar to where we are now. Still, there would be no other humans except for us. What would happen when I'm ready to give birth?

I obviously couldn't do it myself. However, Chaska once again, caught me by astonishment when he assured me he knew how to assist. Apparently, he used to sneak into the huts when he was little, watching women give birth, and only stopped when he got caught by his mother, who had given him a serious punishment for his shameful behavior.

Who would've thought that an Indian warrior would be capable of doing something like that?

Not me, that's for certain. Anyways, I would never doubt him. So we both came to a decision that we'll leave this awful place where we were unwanted from the very beginning and venture off somewhere that we could proudly call home.

We journeyed through hills, crossed streams, and passed by a few tribes who welcomed us into their homes for a few nights' rest until we made it to the place Chaska had been talking about for the longest while.

Many cold nights drifted by when we had to sleep on the ground, while during the day, we worked together in building our new home. It was more difficult since I had been carrying a life inside me for the past few months. Chaska had been so understanding and supportive toward me, I've never felt happier.

After several weeks, I stood in front of the doorstep of our tiny wooden cabin. It wasn't too large, but it wasn't too small either. The place that once stood empty was now filled with crops on every visible corner, surrounding our tiny house, a house we were sure to turn into a warm home.

Upon feeling a breath of warm air tickling the crook of my neck, I smiled, turning my head above my shoulder only to see Chaska's cherry lips attached to them. His sneaky hand made its way around my swollen stomach, which was due no more than a week from now.

"Finally," Chaska whispered into my ear, "we're home. Just the three of us. Together." Chaska pecked my nose, causing me to grin. Chaska continued, "Forever," followed by another peck, "I love you, Sabella. You complete me."

Closing my eyes, I shifted to face Chaska, "I love you too, Chaska," I replied, ruffling his hair while placing many tiny pecks upon his face.

Following many ups and downs, I had given birth to a fine baby boy who we named Achak, after Chaska's great-grandfather. I was now happy and content with my little family, as we spend our days growing crops and telling tales of our previous adventures to our son.

Finally, my harsh journey of pain and suffering had come to an end, and it wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't met my handsome Cheyenne warrior.

The End