Chapter 12

The black stallion glided into the tiny Indian village as I sat on top. Chaska held tightly onto the horse's rope as he walked beside it.

I looked around as everyone, old and young, came out of their little huts when they heard the commotion from the others who were outside. My heart raced from the nervousness that echoed within me.

Eyes were everywhere; some looked at me confused, others seemed angry. There were a few smiles, but mostly frowns.

I gulped when I saw an old Indian man. His grey hair was braided in two as it reached all the way down his waist. Wrinkles and moles covered his moon-shaped olive-colored face as he came out of one of the larger wooden huts. His stare was cold and sad when he looked up at me, then his eyes left mine and trailed to Chaska, replaced by disappointment and hurt. I had no doubt in me that he was Chaska's father; the resemblance was too much for it not to be.

We came to a stop just in front of the man, who seemed to be not only Chaska's father but the chief himself. "Give me your hand," I looked down when Chaska spoke, his hand held out, waiting for me to take it. After a moment of hesitation, I took hold of it. Slowly, the Indian lifted me off the horse so I could stand on my own two feet. "Stay beside me," Chaska whispered, motioning with his head for me to follow him.

I watched in awe as the two men spoke in their native tongue. The chief appeared to be a little more relaxed now that Chaska had returned. It seemed as if everyone from the village came out, all surrounding us with their presence, but the curiousness of their stares never left.

Chaska turned, facing me, "This is Sabella, father," he said in English to the old man, "But they call her Bella," the Indian introduced me with a smile to the older man. To my surprise, the chief nodded in acknowledgment but didn't say anything, "Bella. This is my father, Achak."

"Nice to meet you, sir," I held out my hand for a shake but got none in return. Just a strange stare. I guess it wasn't their custom to give shakes. Quickly, I pulled my hand away and nodded in embarrassment.

----------

"Your father doesn't seem to like me very much, not that I would care," I told Chaska as we sat beside a tiny fireside he'd created a few minutes ago, near his hut. It was nightfall, which means I've been here for at least a few hours, and I haven't seen any of the people from my wagon train. I was meaning to ask Chaska about them; I just had to find the right time to bring it up. He's acting nice now, compared to when I'd first met him; he's acting more like a friend, but maybe that's what it is - an act.

"Why wouldn't you care?" he asks, a bit of disappointment lingering in his eyes as he turned to look at me.

"Because....well because I'm still property in your and your people's eyes," I told him, finally realizing the seriousness of the situation I'm in.

Chaska sighed, "No, you're not-"

"Where are the others, Chaska?" I interrupted him, as anger and panic slowly crept in.

"What?" he asks, arching a brow as if he had somehow forgotten the English language.

"Don't play dumb. The others whom you and your people have taken from my wagon train. Where are they? God, I'm so stupid," I rubbed my temples with my fingers, closing my eyes, "Your people killed my brother, and I'm here pretending as nothing had happened." I sighed. What the hell is wrong with me.

"I'm sorry about your brother. If it was up to me, it wouldn't have gone the way it did. I was only following orders from the elders. If only I could take it back, I would, Bella," Chaska told me, his voice sounded genuine.

I watched him as he hesitated for a while before he lifted his hand and placed it on my back, trying to comfort me.

"Just answer the question," I whispered, ignoring his attempts of comfort.

"I talked to my father. They sold them not long before they had arrived. Someone came and traded weapons for them. I'm sorry, Bella," his eyes pleaded for me to forgive him for something he didn't ever do. But I couldn't.

"Don't don't me," I muttered, sobs escaping my lips as I pulled myself away from his touch. "You're a monster, all of you are."

I saw his eyes grow cold at my venomous words, but I didn't care. What was to become of me now? Would I be sold too? Or be kept as their slave? Or killed? Tears poured lightly from my eyes as I kept imagining the worst. I felt weak, but I wasn't weak. They can't make me weak.

"I'm tired of your disrespect towards me and my people," Chaska got up and grabbed hold of my arm tightly as he pulled me towards his hut. I gritted my teeth but didn't say anything as I stumbled from his forceful pulling.
He pushed me inside; I fell onto the animal skin-covered floor.

Even though my tears were begging to be released, I wasn't going to let it slip, I wasn't going to be weak. Not anymore. "What do you expect?" I spat, getting up from the ground, "What. Do you think I should be okay with all of this? Are you delusional? What's going to happen to me now, huh? What. Am I going to sold like some animal? Or kept as a slave? No, that won't happen, you hear me?" I walked up to Chaska's face, "I would rather die!"

The Indian grabbed hold of my shoulders with both his hands, his eyes staring intensely into mine for a split second, he tightened his grip and shook me. "You listen to me. And listen carefully. I would never let anything happen to you. Do you understand me? No harm will fall upon you as long as I'm around," his burning gaze came back, staring into my eyes, "Trust me."