Chapter Twenty-One

"She is going to be fine. It is just her body going into shock from the pain. There is nothing else wrong with her."

"Hitting all those rocks and kicking her leg to swim, it stressed the knee."

"It is just torn ligaments. We have a therapy and technology to quickly heal ligaments and tendons. Now if she had broken a bone, that would take months. She will just need to be in a brace for two weeks, take this medication, and she will be just as good as before."

"Mel, you are going to be fine. I love you."

I woke up to a white, sterilized hospital room. The beeping of machines were like a lullaby stood beside my bed on both sides. A cushioned chair was pulled up next to me. Ben slept comfortably in it.

Looking down at my body, tubes were hooked to my arms to pump drugs into me. Further down, my right knee was wrapped tightly. It no longer hurt as far as I could tell but I was too scared to try moving my toes in fear of that flaming pain.

In the chair, Ben moved positions. "Hey," he said softly. I looked over at him as he pushed himself up. "You are finally awake."

"How long have I been out?" I was sure I was out for awhile but I still felt so tired. The way Ben's eyes had bags underneath them, it must have been some time. His entire body was ragged and worn through.

"Three days. But most of that was due to drugs. You tore a few ligaments but nothing bad. They went in and healed it with this, this thing, I was never good medical terms and processes. Anyway, the pain should be gone. However, it will be sore and feel tight for the next few weeks."

"But I am going to be able to get up? Walk and run?" I asked. I didn't want to be down for too long. There was still a lot I had to do. I had the simulation to finish.

"Hold on there Mel, take it easy. The simulation is over for you."

I sat up way too fast. "What?" I snapped. My head spun slightly at the movement.

"Slow down Mel, you are not going to be marked down for not finishing the simulation."

The door from the hall opened and a nurse walked inside. "Good afternoon Ensign Sparrow. Glad to see you are awake."

My eyes flickered from the nurse, who had to be a few years older than myself, back to Ben. "Ensign Sparrow?" The nurse walked up to the side of my bed to check the machines.

"You survive basic training," Ben explained, "Now we get to do more apprenticeship type training. You will join me on my assigned missions for the next few years until your training is fully complete. congratulations Ensign."

"But," I cut Ben off. I was confused. I didn't finish the mountain simulation.

"Though you didn't reach the fire tower," Ben interrupted me, "You still did everything correctly. You survived almost the entire two days on your own. Had a plan to reach the fire tower. Didn't get eaten by bears. It is not your fault for the injured."

No, it was Gloria's. She and her stupidity almost killed Alec and I.

"Ensign Sparrow," the nurse said beside me, "I am going to inform the doctor you are awake. He will be in shortly to check you over himself."

I nodded and watched her leave. "Why does she keep calling me Ensign?"

"You are in the Military Hospital in Old York. It is the best hospital in all of the regions. Top of the line medical technology and doctors."

Old York. I was in Old York. The last time I was awake and functional, I was in the Mountain Region. Now I was in the capital.

I leaned forward in bed. My excitement didn't hit when I asked, "When can I leave?" There was a whole city out there. Waiting to be explored.