Chapter Fifty-Five

Olivia was in her element. If she and Audrey ever met, they could spend an entire day shopping in York. Like Audrey, Olivia went into every store down the main street even if the store sold things we did not need.

Food, clothes, ammo, supplies, we picked it all up. It was odd to not to pay for our supplies. At each store, we went to the register to show the shop owners what we were taking. The owners would put the things into bags with a smile and asked nothing in return.

"She is like my sister," Ben muttered to me as Olivia pulled Asher into one more store though she claimed she was done shopping.

"She is very much like your sister. If they met we would never get them out of the shops at Times Square."

Ben walked over to the bench that sat before the window of the shop Olivia went into. He dropped all the bags on the ground. "I just don't know how we are going to pack all these things."

I joined him on the bench. "Well, whatever we can't fit, we will leave behind."

The day was sunny and cheerful like yesterday. Gentle clouds floated above the town. And the feeling of something was off still nagged at me. I turned to face Ben. He was watching a mother and young daughter walk down the other side of the street. The daughter was pulling at her mother's hand wanting to go into one of the stores.

I studied his bruised face. "Ever thought of having kids?" I found myself asking. In York, we got to know each other after I learned he was a prince. But I didn't ask too many personal questions. Like how he saw himself in the future. What he wanted to do. Who he saw himself marrying.

Ben's gaze moved down the street to an elderly couple. "Someday. Never been around children much, other than little cousins. But I don't know. Maybe if I have the time to settle down."

Now. I could say it now. The whole, are we a thing or not?

Ben turned to me. The swelling in his bad eye was better, he could now open it a little. His ribs also mysteriously healed though they were still tender. When he twisted a certain way, I could see him hiding a wince. "What about you?"

I signed, "Never gave it much thought. Never really gave my future much thought. My original plan all those months ago was to be a foot soldier, do my four years of service, and hightail it home to Dad."

"How's that plan going?"

"Oh, it erupted in flames within minutes after meeting you."

"'Ello you two." Gillian and Terrance were making their way down the street. Terrance rolled up to us. "How is our little town treating you?"

"Very well," I responded. I turned to Ben, "Ben this is Terrance, the mayor."

Ben leaned forward on the bench and shook hands with Terrance. "You have a nice town here."

"It sure is a diamond in a rough."

"It is. I want to thank you for providing us with shelter and supplies. This is the first decent place we been at in weeks."

Terrance waved away the thanks. "The pleasure is all mine. Gillian and I have business to attend to, but I want to invite you and the others to come back into town tonight. We are having a wedding; the whole town will be here. Good food, laughs, music. Starts at seven."

"Well, we will be there," Ben said for us.

"Glad to have you." Terrance turned his wheels back into the street, heading with Gillian to their office.

"I still have a bad feeling about this place and now you invited us to a so-called wedding," I turned to Ben. He gave me a pointed look. His mouth opened to speak but Olivia and Asher rushed out of the store with three more bags.