Chapter Fifty-Nine

The meeting was at ten o'clock in the morning. I woke up half an hour before the meeting but Ben was awake for hours. A cold cup of tea sat on the table as he paced back and forth. Both bad signs that he was stressed to the max.

"What's wrong?" I sat on the sofa. My arms folded on the back while I watched Ben pace.

"It has been a while since I've done this," Ben admitted. "My brother is the ambassador. There was a reason why I sought out Alliance so I wouldn't have to do these things."

"You'll be fine," I said. He grabbed his hand as he paced by, forcing him to stop. "You just need them to sign the peace treaty."

Ben looked at our hands, "You are right."

I pushed myself up onto my knees, my eyes almost eye level with Ben's. "By tomorrow this time, we will be heading home."

Ben looked up at me. A weak smile on his face. "When we head back, let's try not to kill anyone or get killed."

"Deal."

All the friendly smiles from last night disappeared as the seven of us sat around the round table in a conference room

All the friendly smiles from last night disappeared as the seven of us sat around the round table in a conference room. Carl and Jesse sat together on one side. There was a chair between Jesse and Noah who sat next to Chris with Maisie on the other side. Two empty chairs sat between Maisie and Ben and two empty chairs sat between Carl and I.

I avoided Maisie gaze and the curious looks Noah kept giving me.

"Shall we begin?" asked Chris, pulling out a thin tablet and placing it on the table.

We all nodded. The faster we got it signed, the faster we could get out of here.

"So, we agree to halt all fighting between the Wasteland Rebels and the Military of United Regions?" Chris asked

Ben nodded. The treaty, I knew, was detailed and written with big words. The document had to cover every single loophole there was so the rebels could never bring up arms against us again.

Ben pulled out the little hard drive from his pocket that held the treaty document for the leaders to sign. He placed it on the table before him. "We are in agreement."

Chris shook his head.

"We are not in agreement. The treaty is absolute rubbish. We are not signing it."

I felt my mouth drop open. They what? Glancing at Ben, he was just as shocked as I was but he recovered better than I did. "Explain yourself," he said.

"We will not sign it."

"Are you unhappy with it? We can change-"

"No, keep the treaty as it is," Chris leaned forward, his hands folded on the table. "I will not sign a peace treaty, but a ceasefire with a few minor adjustments." Ben's eyebrows furrowed at the last words. "We will sign a peace treaty when, and only when, you allow us into the United Regions."