Chapter Fifty-Eight

"It is just a welcoming dinner, tomorrow starts the actual discussion," Ben said beside me. We were following a servant from our room to where we would meet the Wasteland leaders.

I didn't remove the annoyed look on my face. "How can you be so calm?"

He looked calm underneath his clean black shirt. His heart was probably beating normally while my own heart was rapid.

"I am used to these formal dinners. Had them all my life."

That was true. He probably had far worse meetings than this one. I just wanted the treaty to be signed and for us to go home. We had reached our destination and I was ready to go.

I was so tired. Ben was too, because we slept all last night and most of today. Only three hours ago, at three o'clock was when we finally woke up on opposite sides of the king size bed.

The servant stopped before a room and opened the door. Inside was an elegant room decorated in Roman Empire detail, but my focus was on the three people who stood beside a small cocktail bar.

A man with pleasant enough features with matching brown hair and eyes turned to us and smiled. "Welcome," he sat down his drink on the bar and walked to us. He went to Ben first, his hand outstretched. "I am glad you have finally arrived, I am Christopher Nelson, Leader of the Rebels."

The introduction took me back. Rebel leader? I had thought the rebel leader would be like Murphy, rude and cruel. But this man before us reminded me of Dad. Probably because they were both middle age.

Ben took the rebel's hand, "We are glad to arrive, I am Chief Ben Collins and this Ensign Mel Sparrow."

The rebel leader turned to me, his hand outstretched. "Pleasure," he said. I only nodded in response.

"Come, have a drink." Chris ushered us to the bar. "Dinner will be served shortly. Let me introduce Carl Evans, Leader of the Wasteland and his second in command, Jesse Brooks."

If Chris had not given us introductions, I could have assumed who was who. Carl was an older man with white hair and wore glasses. Whereas Jesse was his counterpart; a young man who wore fighting clothes. I could tell Carl leaned more toward his brains and talking due to the lack of a gun on his hip whereas Jesse and Chris both had at least one gun on them.

"I hope your trip was well," Carl said, "Cocktail?"

"Rum and coke," Ben said easily.

Again, my alcohol knowledge and tolerance were very limited. "Just the rest of his coke." I went with the safest option.

"Sparrow," Chris said, as if he was tasting it, he looked at me, "You aren't the daughter of Dave Sparrow are you?"

The question took me back. Out of all the things Chris to say, that was the thing I least expected. We were here on a diplomatic mission and we are talking about my father?

"Ugh, yes I am."

Carl handed us our drinks.

"Thought so. It seems normal for a child of a great leader to follow in his footsteps. From what I heard, he hasn't changed much," Chris looked over at Ben. "Put the Alliance through some hell for a couple years there when he retired."

I finally glanced at Ben. This sudden topic of conversation did not seem to phase him as he nodded, taking a drink. "He did go on retirement for a few years but he is back with us."

So easy, it was so easy for him. For Ben to not show emotions. I, no doubt, had a shocked look on my face that we were talking about my father out of all things.