Chapter Forty-Three

The further we traveled into the Wasteland, the more it started to look like a Wasteland. By the time we stopped for the night after leaving Omaha, the land was totally different. There was no grass. No leaves. No greenery at all. Trees were like skeletons. The earth beneath us was dry and cracking.

Then there was the never-ending sun. The air was hot around us but I didn't dare take off my jacket due to the sun rays, radiation, and dust that was blowing relentlessly at us. I was grateful I had bought those scarves and hats that protected our faces.

The Jeep in the front stopped and the four motorbikes followed. "We'll camp here for the night," Liam called, stepping out of the Jeep.

"Thank god," I groaned as I threw a leg over the bike.

"You don't ride much do you?" said Asher, he had stopped beside us. I looked over at the guy with red hair.

"Does it show?"

Asher laughed lightly. He and Ben both dismounted.

The group Liam was leading were people around Ben's and my age. There was Asher, the redhead who knew everything there is to know about mechanics. He and Ben kicked it off well since Asher was impressed with our bike.

There were the twins, Mason and Madison who both rode their own bikes. They looked like the same person though one was a boy and the other a girl. Madison had cut her black hair short like her brothers to give an illusion of two boys.

Charlotte kept to herself on her own motorbike. She only spoke to Mason it seemed.

There was the leader Liam, with his brown hair and brown eyes. He was an attractive guy who had an equally attractive girlfriend, Olivia. Her eyes brown and her hair a golden blond that even had me envious of it.

Lastly was Isla. She was the youngest out of the group. Her long brown hair pulled back into a braid. She had to be fifteen and she was by the far the innocent one.

Each person went to their own job as we sat up camp. Asher and Mason were starting a fire in the middle of the circle of vehicles. Liam and Charlotte walked the perimeter around the camp and picked up firewood. The back of the Jeep was opened and Olivia, Isla, and Madison pulled out cooking supplies.

"They seem to have this down," I said softly to Ben who was going through a bag looking for something.

"They have been traveling longer than us," he said. "I spoke to Liam during our last break. We all help collect food, cut down firewood, and cook meals."

I looked over at the girls. In Olivia's hand, she held uncooked meat. Chicken from the looks of it. I turned to my back on the ground and pulled out object after object until I found the seasoning I had bought. Looking up I found Ben watching me from where he sat. His eyebrow raised in question.

Lifting two small bottles of spices I said, "I am going to go make friends. Finish setting up camp?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Smartass."

I stood and walked over to the three girls. Bypassing Mason and Asher who were nursing the fire that had almost gone out for the third time.

"Hey," I said to the three girls. Isla looked up at me, her face beaming. Olivia had gentle enough looks but Madison looked like she could stab me. "I'm here to help with the food. I bought some seasoning in Omaha. You can use it." I handed the two bottles to Olivia.

The taller girl looked at the two small bottles. Seasonings were a luxury out here. I knew that because they were a luxury back at home. "Are you sure you want to share?" Olivia asked, her eyes flickering to me.