Chapter Thirty-Two

The wall was nothing like how I imagined it to be. For some reason, I thought it would be like the Great Wall of China with great stones built high. In reality, it was just a really, really tall fence with barbed wire at the top.

The idea to build the Wall was after Last Great War and the fall of the United States. The eastern side of the country still strived after the war but the western side was almost totally destroyed.

Wastelanders wanted into the almost untouched eastern side of the country and the easterners then did not like that. Therefore the Wall was built.

They should have built a stone wall. Rebels still got in somehow. Like my mom. I didn't know if she was pushed through a hole in the ground or tossed over the really tall fence.

A person could easily fly over the wall in a helicopter or plane, but the Rebels did not have aircraft. Or none that we knew about. Rebels could have also swam underneath the Wall if it was over a lake. The Wall was straight, it did not curve with the land or around obstacles. I heard it even cut through the middle of a house in a town further south.

Ben drove Hummer up to the gate in the Wall. On either side of the gate was two tall towers. From where we were, we could see military officers in them and their snipers.

A young officer walked toward the road in front of the gate. "State name and reason," he said when we pulled up to him.

"Chief Benjamin Collins and Ensign Melissa Sparrow with Alliance. We wish clearance to pass through the gate for Operation Peace."

The officer did not ask any more questions than that. Did not even ask for proof of who we are since we did not look like Alliance officers. For all this officer knew, we could be Rebels escaping because of the Wastelander-like clothes we wore.

"You have clearance to pass through. Good luck Chief Collins and Ensign Sparrow."

The gate groaned open we passed through.