Chapter Four

I'd been here a week and was bored out of my mind. Alexander wouldn't let me go anywhere without him and when we did leave it was only to his office building where I'd sit around and do nothing. I missed working and going out after. I felt like a true prisoner.

Though it was nice not having to see my mother and her ugly husband. This situation is far from ideal, but at least I wouldn't have to spend time with them.

I ate dinner with him every night now and though I'd never let him know, I didn't hate him as much. He'd been nothing but nice since I came to live with him. We didn't have many conversations, but the ones we did were pleasant. I learned only a couple things about him. One being is that he is very messy eater and he also loved Motown music. He always had it playing through the penthouse. Another thing is that he was a terrible singer.

I was sat on the sofa in Alexander's office. He was busy going through paper work.

The door open and in walked a blonde woman, who was very pretty. She looked to be nervous though by the furrow in her eyebrows.

Alexander's eyes snapped up to her, jaw hard. "You're late, again."

"I'm sorry, sir-"

"You're fired," he said, looking back down at the papers.

Her eyes went wide. "No, Alexander-"

"Mr. Knight," he corrected her. "Leave."

She did as he asked, shutting the door behind her.

"That was a little dramatic." I commented.

He looked over at me and shrugged. "I don't have time for assistants that don't take their jobs seriously."

An idea popped in my head.

"I could be your assistant." I offered.

He raised an eyebrow. "You're going to be my wife," he said, causing me to cringe. "you don't need to work."

I stood and walked over to his desk. He leaned back in his chair as if to look at me better. "I want to work, Alexander. I'm bored and no offense, but you are very boring."

This made him smirk. "I am anything but boring, sweetheart."

My nose scrunched from the nickname.

"Have you ever worked as an assistant before?"

I shook my head. "No, but I've had several jobs and even a degree in public relations." I boasted, proud of my own accomplishment. I worked damn hard for that degree.

He nodded. "I didn't know you had a degree."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes because you don't know me."

He smirked. "Okay, Anastasia," my name rolled off his tongue. There's no denying that this man's voice was heaven. "you'll start... now."

I smiled in victory. "What do you need done, Mr. Knight?"

Four hours later and I had organized his filing cabinet completely, booked future appointments, and even got his damn coffee. The previous assistant he had appeared to not have done anything because everything was a mess.

"Anastasia," I looked up to see my mother approach the desk that Alexander had given me outside his office.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What are you doing here?" I asked her.

"Alexander invited us to lunch." I looked to see Dimitri approaching, his usual facial expression. This man looked like someone had just killed his mother. "We'll bring you leftovers." She said, sending me a vindictive smile.