Chapter 5

Omega Pov

  We walk along slowly. The sounds of leaves crunching under our feet greeting us with every step. The weather has chilled with the Autumn season. The air is still, and the wind is as silent as we are.

  I can see his hand itching to take mine, but he knows we aren't there right now. Occasionally, he opens his mouth to speak but, presses his lips back together not finding the right words. I'm not sure what to say myself and while this silence is awful and awkward in every sense, but I feel that forcing small talk would be worse.

  I'm not sure where we're going now. I don't go outside often. I was banned a long time ago from going outside unless I had specific permission from an alpha or beta. I suppose that's for the better though because people like being in their wolf forms outside and I'd rather not become a chew toy. It is torturous not to ever be in my form though.

  I've only ever changed once and that was on my birthday. That was an awful day. The pack heard my howls of pain and came to laugh at me transforming into such a small animal. The beatings and malnourishment prevented her from growing properly inside of me.
Then Alpha came when the change was over. It is traditional for a wolf to go running as soon as they change with their mate. If it isn't done then the next few months are painful, to say the least.

  That's the moment I saw he was my mate. For a split second, I forgot who we both were, and I felt the bond try to pull me to him. My excitement quickly diminished when I took in his serious and sadistic face. He told me I was to change back and never to be a wolf again.

  I look at his face now. He stares ahead of us with a thoughtful sad expression. He's not nearly as vicious as he was that day. I wonder what he's been doing with all that anger since the violence towards me ended. If he's hurting someone else, I think I would die from the guilt of them taking my pain.

  He looks over at me again and sees my eyes on him. He smiles small attempting eye contact. I turn away embarrassed to be caught staring. Pink tints my cheeks from more than just weather. Staring at an Alpha like that is punishable. I hear him sigh disappointedly. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see him staring at me, not that my eyes are necessary with the light pleasurable tingles over my skin.

  His arm shoots out and I immediately flinch back hard. Hard enough in fact that I fall to the ground. I look up at him with wide eyes. He blinks back tears as extends his hand to help me up. I take it and he pulls me to stand but, then even after he keeps his hold. He nervously plays with my fingers.

  "I'm so sorry for everything I've ever made you feel", he says, "I would give anything to take back the last ten years, but I know nothing ever could. That doesn't mean I won't do everything I can for as long I live". I want to believe him right now. I want to trust him yet; I'm shaking at his touch. He seems to sense this in me. Careful not to frighten me more he places my hand on his chest. His heart pumps erratically against my palm.

  "Do you feel it?" He asks "this is how you make me feel and I can't imagine it any other way. I want you and I'll never hurt you again. Please, I know you don't trust me yet and that is entirely my fault, but please give me a chance" the way he stares at me makes it impossible for even me to look away. Almost unconsciously I find myself leaning in. I gently pull my hand away from his and trail a light touch up. Resting my hand on his cheek I pull him down to me. An unreadable emotion captivates his face while I feel blush overtake mine. I close my eyes and for a moment allow myself to forget everything between us and the past.

  His hand cradles the small of my back the other twirls around my hair. Everything now is soft and warm. Our last kiss made me doubtful but, this is magic if it ever existed. He smiles at me and my lips curve against his.
He pulls away after a while and I curse our lungs for needing air. I realize that was the kind of moment that you remember when you look back on for something to feel alive at your lowest times.
...

Will Pov

  I don't think anyone knows what to do with something like that. I'm too scared to walk on to our destination because I'm afraid when we leave, we'll leave behind what we did. I fear that our time of reciprocated trust and acceptance that I felt from her will be lost and we'll find ourselves back where we began our trip.
Even still I smile at her kindly as to hide the monster I know she sees and I offer her my hand as I had tried to just before. She hesitates at the gesture but, slowly accepts. I don't think I've ever before felt something as comforting and complete as her finger entwined with mine.

  I don't know how I used to think of her the way I did before. How could I have let my anger blind me from how beautiful she is? I cringe thinking about how I used to call her disgusting. How could I be so wrong for so long?

  More importantly, how could a monster like me be blessed with such a kind and innocent person? I've done nothing to deserve such a wonderful woman. I should have received someone as awful as me.

  If I had been given someone else then Hope wouldn't have been stuck with me. She could have a much better man than me; one that she doesn't fear.

  Thinking about Hope with another man though isn't something I enjoy. The idea of her being with anyone else makes me want to murder someone.

  She's not with another man though. She's with me, holding my hand as we walk through the woods. I'm the one who put the blush on her cheeks there.

  I'll never let anyone take her from me.