Dauntless

Victoria

I've never felt so happy in a long time, I felt the chains around my neck break free as I ran with my faction

I've never felt so happy in a long time, I felt the chains around my neck break free as I ran with my faction. A smile appeared on my face for the first time in a while, I was actually keeping up with their pace as I ran, I was actually in the front with three other Dauntless boys. "Whoa! Stiff is keeping up!" The Dauntless boy next to me said smiling, we get to a bridge and they start climbing up.

"Come on, stiff! I like you, keep up!" The boy said as he was climbing up, I looked up at the pillar and start climbing up. My dress was getting in the way along with my cardigan, I start getting closer to the top and I hoist myself up. I take in a deep breath as more Dauntless start getting up and I hear the tracks up here moving. "Might want to start running, this thing don't stop." The same boy from before said to me, I glanced at the train to see it was not slowing down, the boy starts running, so I follow him.

The train is close to us and he jumps grabbing onto the rail, he presses a button which opened the doors and I reached for the railing. I try hoisting myself up, but I had weak arms, the boy from before helps me on and I run out of breath leaning my head on the edge of the door. "Feeling okay there, stiff?" He asked and I nodded with a small smile. "I'm Dan, you?" He asked offering me his hand. "Victoria." I said shaking his hand and he smiled leaning back.

"There's another jump three minutes from here, you should prepare yourself." He pointed out, I looked out the train to see a building's roof come into view. "Come on, Victoria!" Dan said, he pulled me next to him as people started jumping out. He took a running start and jumped out, I took in a deep breath running out the train and use my legs to guide me to the roof.

I rolled on the pebbles on the ground and groaned, I propped myself up on my forearms and felt my hair become loose from its hairdo. "You alright there, stiff?" I hear Dan ask me, I start standing up on all fours. "Here." He adds lending me his hand, I took it and he helped me up. "Thank you." I said to him as I start dusting off the dirt from me. "Aren't you Marcus Eaton's daughter?" He asked as I moved the hair away from my lips. "Yes." I answered as more people jumped off the train, once everyone was off a man spoke up.

"All right, listen up!" He spoke up, I looked behind me to see him standing there, we all gathered around him and I studied him closely. "I'm Eric, I'm one of your leaders. If you want to enter Dauntless, this is the way in." He said signaling over the roof to the ground, he looked my way and made eye contact with me. He had these very cold, piercing blue eyes which made eye contact with my green ones, he breaks the contact and continues to speak.

"And if you don't have the guts to jump, then you don't belong in Dauntless." He said looking at me again, I let out a breath and stared back at him. "Is there water at the bottom or something?" A boy asked, Eric looked away from me to look at him. "I guess you'll find out." Eric answered as everyone indistinctly whispered to each other. "Or not." He added as I scratched the back of my neck. "Someone's gotta go first. Who's it gonna be?" Eric asked, I could go first, but my instincts told me not to, not yet.

"Me." I hear a voice say, I picked up my head to look at Beatrice. She makes her way to the front, then Eric jumps down from the ledge to give her space. She climbs up to the ledge and takes off her cardigan to the ground, and it lands on the pebbles. "Yeah, stiff, take it off!" A boy spoke up in the crowd, I rolled my eyes at him as I looked back at Beatrice. "Put it back on." The boy muttered loud enough for us to hear it, you could tell she was hesitating to jump and I felt why she was feeling that way.

"Today, Initiate." Eric ordered her, she gasped falling off the edge and I felt my heart race. "Alright, who's next?" Eric questioned, I had to get over the fear of heights, so I cleared my throat. "I am." I spoke up, everyone turns to look at me and Eric put his hands on his back.

"I'm surprised by you stiffs." Eric said as I start walking towards the edge next to him. I use my palms to help me up on the ledge and the wind pushes my dress forward along with my hair. I take in a deep breath as I see a net on the bottom and I lift one foot up, then pushing myself off. I feel adrenaline pump in my body as I turn myself onto my back and a few seconds pass by, I feel my body come in contact with the net and I bounced up feeling the air get knocked out of me.

I feel a smile on my face as I lay there with the sun shining on my face. I feel someone pull the net and I rolled towards the end, the person helps me down and I moved the hair away from my face. "Damn, did they push-" the man cuts himself off and I looked up to see who it was.

I stopped panting and feel my heart slow down as I see his familiar face. "Victoria?" He asked wondering if I was real or not. "Ella." I corrected him as he look stunned. "Second jumper; Ella!" My brother announced to everyone.

"Can we talk later?" He asked me and I eyed him up and down, almost disgusted at his sight. "Never." I whispered to him, I start walking towards Beatrice, but he grabs my further bicep. "I'm sorry." He whispered so only I could hear him, I looked at him in the eyes and shook my head. "Don't ever touch me." I said pulling away roughly, I stand next to Beatrice as another person falls on the net and I looked away at my brother's stare, and waited for everyone to come down.

Once everyone was standing on one side, Tobias let out a sigh standing in front of us. "Dauntless-born, go with Lauren, transfers stay with me. Go." Tobias ordered them, I see Dan wave at me as he walked away with the other group and I couldn't help but smile. "Most of the time I work in intelligence, but during your training, I'll be your instructor." He started out and maintained his eye contact with me. "My name's Four." He said and I looked away to the wall. "Four like the number?" A girl asked him jokingly. "Exactly like the number." He answered, I let out a sigh pulling my sleeves down.

"What happened, one through three were taken?" The same girl joked, I slightly shook my head, my brother has a short temper, he can control it, but his face doesn't. "What's your name?" My brother asked walking towards her. "Christina." She answered, I felt awkward since she was right next to me, I pitied her. "Well, Christina. The first lesson you learn from me, is if you wanna survive here, is keep your mouth shut." He said getting close to her, I cleared my throat and he looked at me, then back at her.

"Do you understand me?" He asked her. "Yes." She answered softly. "Good." He said and looked at the rest of us. "Follow me." He ordered, I looked at Christina and stood next to her as we walked. "You alright?" I asked her and she nodded giving me a small smile. "Yes, thank you." She answered me.