Running Away?

Ella

"Eric, we can't just leave

"Eric, we can't just leave." I said lowering my voice and he shook his head. "Ella, we have to go, or else they will hurt you." He said grabbing both of my hands. "We don't know what's on the other side." I pointed out and he let out a breath. "I have your back, you have mine?" He asked leaning into me and I take in a breath. "I got it." I answered, no regretful feelings flew across me and he chuckled pulling me in for a hug, he gets up holding me close to him and I felt safe in his arms. "The train, it takes us to the wall, after we do training, and the war game. We can leave." He explained pulling away, but kept his hands on my biceps.

"You can't tell anyone, not even your friends." He said looking into my eyes and I took in a deep breath as he stared at me. "What about our family?" I asked him and I see his eyes saddened up. "I don't have a family, just a job." He answered, I felt bad for him, so I cupped his face. "Can I think about it? It's just I'm close to my friends." I asked him, unsure of how he would react.

"If you do makeup your mind, just tell me." He said and I nodded, he moved his arms away. "Now go, fight." He added, I nodded giving him a quick kiss on the lips and he took in a breath as we pulled away.

***

"How's Tris?" I asked Christina as we were standing in the train. "She looked sad, I felt really bad." She answered while people were piling in and I start putting my hair up in a ponytail. "If you're on Eric's team, the other team already lost." Will said to me as I finished putting up my hair. "Is everyone on board?" Tobias questioned as he got inside then stood next to me. "You have an extra hair tie?" A familiar voice asked, I turned around and smiled seeing Dan. "I don't, sorry." I said giving him a fake frown and he chuckled.

"I thought this was for transfers?" I asked Dan as I slightly roll my red leather sleeves up. "Yes, but I am the one who brought the guns in and I am the ref." He answered sliding down a box to the middle of the train. "I heard you're good with a gun, Ella." He pointed out giving me a wink. "Well, not good enough." I corrected him as he slid another box to the middle and stands up straight. "Aren't you number one in your class?" He questioned a bit confused with a smile and I let out a sigh as the train starts moving. "My advice, don't get shot." Dan informed me rolling up his sleeves and looking at me.

"Are they real bullets?" I asked him confused and he shook his head.

"No, they simulate the pain of a real one." He answered as I glanced out the train to see Tris running towards us, I looked back at her surprised and see her trying to catch up. "It's Tris!" Chris pointed out, she gets to us and Tobias helped her up into the train, then Eric sees her. "Who let you out?" He questioned her while standing in front of us as she was slightly out of breath. "I did." She answered. "You did?" He questioned her, so she stayed quiet. "Okay." Eric said glancing at me and turn his back towards us to look at the rest.

"The game's simple." Eric announced, everyone stayed quiet to listen to him. "It's like capture the flag." He added as Dan handed him a gun, which made scoff a bit. "You call that a gun?" She asked Eric sarcastically, suddenly he shoots her without hesitation making me flinch and she falls back groaning in pain. "Told you." Dan whispered to me. "Neuro-stim dart." He said showing us the dart inside the gun and I slightly shivered at the thought of an actual bullet. "Simulates the pain of a real gunshot wound." He started as he turned to look at us.

"Only lasts a couple of minutes." He adds. "Two teams. Four and I are captains." Eric gestured at my older brother and Tobias looked at me. "You pick first." Tobias said leaning a bit on the train's wall. "Okay, Edward." Eric called out. "I'll take the stiff." Tobias said smirking a bit at Eric who took in a breath and I looked at Tris who looked back at me confused, so we looked back at them. "There's two." Eric pointed out to us. "I'll take Ella." Tobias said staring down who nodded, I reluctantly walked towards my brother and stood next to him.

***

"Ella, I'm sorry." Tobias spoke up as we were walking through the abandoned space and I took in a breath.

"You already said that." I pointed out holding my gun with both hands. "How many more times do I have to say it?" He questioned as the rest of the group talked among themselves. "When you mean it." I answered, he looked at me with disbelief and shook his head. "I do mean it." He said and I stopped walking to look at him. "We both know when someone means an apology, and you don't mean it." I said feeling myself get frustrated and I took in a deep breath, then walked away from him to Chris.

"You okay?" She asked me worriedly and I nodded giving her a small smile. "You can tell he really cares about you." She points out as we walked. "The only person he cares about is himself." I corrected her and she let out a sigh. "So far I think the leaders approve of you and Eric." She said changing the subject and I looked at her as we walked. "I mean, they haven't forbid him of being with you." She said sounding a bit unsure. "Hold on." Tobias said putting his arm on my arm. "Wait here, cover us." He ordered everyone and walked away to follow Tris.

"Chris, hypothetically speaking, what happens if you run away and jump over the wall?" I asked lowering my voice, then looking at her and she cleared her throat. "Well, hypothetically, it's a suicide mission, there's nothing out there." She answered truthfully and I let out a sigh. "Are thinking of-" I quickly cut her off. "No, just a curious thought." I said and she nodded.

***

"I can see 'em." A boy called out as we were cautiously walking. "Go! Go!" The boy said again. "Light 'em up!" Eric ordered his team, all of us quickly cover by going behind the boxes and I hear guns guns go off. "Ella, cover me!" Tobias said from across and I nodded, I quickly peek out and start shooting at someone behind the other box. I hide again, taking in another breath and looked back at the person shooting, they quickly hide, but I see their foot was exposed, so I shoot it. The boy falls to the ground in pain as more guns were going off, Tobias runs towards me and we both take cover.

"Follow me!" He said and I nodded, he starts running and I quickly follow him. I see Peter pop up pointing his gun at Tobias, so on instinct, I tackle him to hide behind some barrels and I feel some pain on my shoulder, I groaned leaning my back on the barrel and Tobias looked at me. "Are you okay?" He asked me, I let out a deep breath as Peter kept shooting my way and I pulled the dart from my shoulder. "Come on, lets get behind those boxes." He said over the blasts, I take in a breath and we both sprint towards the boxes.

We hid behind them and I feel sweat form on my forehead. "Hey, remember that it's a simulation, remind yourself it's fake." Tobias said to me as I was panting a bit. "You took that shot for me." He pointed out as someone was shooting the back of our box. "Don't flatter yourself." I said and I feel him grab my hand, so I looked at him in the eyes. "Ella, I know I hurt you, but believe me when I say I'm sorry. Even if I have to tell you a million times each day." He said sounding very sincere.

"Do you still look at the stars?" I asked him and a smile appears on his face.

"Every night." He answered, a dart hitting our box cuts the moment, so I glanced up to see it was Peter again. "Does he ever stop?" I questioned holding my gun close to me and my brother chuckled. "I think he may have a crush on you." He joked, I shook my head turning myself around and pushed the box towards Peter. He falls back, and I shoot his crotch making him scream, then we start running with my brother in front of me, a dart hits my back and I screamed falling to the ground. "Ella!" Tobias called turning around, he pulls me behind some crates and I groaned as he pulled the dart out.

"Stay here. I'm gonna see if I-" He was cut off by cheering, so we both looked up to see Tris and Chris holding the bright flag. "They did it." I said smiling up at them and Tobias helped me up.