Chapter 7

Etrela involuntarily took a couple of steps backward, but missed her footing and fell down on the sand. The wreath fell out of her hands, unnoticed, and she was too stunned to pick it up, or even to stand. There, behind the rock she had just come around, was a bizarre creature: half man, half fish. His upper body was that of a human. His golden hair reached his shoulders; framing his face and making his electric blue eyes stand out in his face. Stretched out behind him was a long fishtail the orange hue of a goldfish that had yellow stripes on the slightly curved fin. She stuttered, "W-what are y-you?"

Kosrae knew he should swim away, but he was in only a few inches of water, so he wouldn't be able to escape before he could be captured; and something, a feeling that she wasn't bad, kept him there. He gazed into her emerald eyes and said honestly, "A merman."

Etrela nodded, wide-eyed. "I-I thought s-so, but aren't mermaids and mermen... well... not real?"

Kosrae felt like laughing, but stayed solemn. "If they weren't, I wouldn't be here."

"So you're real? I'm not dreaming?" She pinched her arm. "I guess not. There are others, then? I mean other merpeople?"

"Yes," He said cautiously. He didn't want to put his family in danger, but he found it hard to lie around this human. He resolved to not tell her where they were.

Thankfully, she noticed the caution in his voice. "What's your name?" She asked instead.

"I am Kosrae."

"I like that name. I'm Etrela. Was it you who gave me the pearl?" At his wordless nod, she continued. "Thank you! I have never had anything more beautiful, or more valuable, for that matter." She added.

Kosrae smiled. "I heard you singing yesterday. I thought you had the singing voice of a siren, so I carved the mermaid in it. I thought you might like this, as well." He gestured to the rock with the conch shell on it. Etrela took it gently. She examined it, eyes wide. "Thank you. It's beautiful."

"It is also a horn. Blow it."

Etrela put what she thought was the mouthpiece to her lips and blew. It didn't make any sound. She tried again, and this time, there was but a hint of the deep note. She stopped and smiled apologetically. "I'm afraid I'm not very good at it. Could you show me?"

Kosrae took the horn and blew. The deep, clear note reverberated across the beach. He handed it back to her. "It just takes practice."

Etrela nodded. "Thank you. Oh, I almost forgot. I have a gift for you, too." She picked up the wreath, dusted some of the sand off, and held it out to him. "I'm afraid it isn't at all valuable, but I made it myself and I think it's pretty."

Kosrae took the wreath and admired it. "You must have worked hard on it. I can see that. Thank you." He put it on like a crown. "Now I am prince of the land and the sea!" He said jokingly, but immediately regretted his slip of the tongue. Etrela's jaw dropped. "Are you the prince?"

"Yes. I am. You can't tell anyone about me, though. Humans and merfolk are nearly enemies."

"I won't-- I just live by myself in the woods, but how can they be enemies? Mermaids and mermen are just myths to us. Your father thinks we are enemies?"

"Yes. In fact, I'm not supposed to be up here on the surface at all. I wouldn't like to see my father's face if he knew I was talking to a 'barbarian human'."

Etrela gasped. "Your father thinks we are barbarians? We are most certainly not! Well, most of us aren't. I'm not."

"I know you aren't." Kosrae stated after a pause. Etrela smiled. She does have a beautiful smile, he thought. "I have to go," he said suddenly. "I've spent too long up here as it is."

"But you'll come back, won't you?" She said, her eyes pleading. "I get so lonely sometimes. I promise I won't tell anyone about you. I don't even know anybody I can tell."

Kosrae hesitated. "Father wouldn't like it..."

Etrela knelt and took his hand. "Please, come back." She pleaded, looking into his electric blue eyes. "I don't have any family or friends, except you."

Kosrae sighed and ran his hand through his wet hair. "Yes, I promise I will come back if I can. I can't say when, though. Blow the horn to call me. If I hear it, I will come here."

"Thank you." She released his hand and he swam away, leaving only ripples in his wake.