Chapter 14

Kosrae was swimming slowly to join Etrela when he saw the flash of light hit Etrela and knock her out cold. He recognized it as the Trident's beam and, realizing how powerful it could be, raced towards her, his face full of fear. He searched for any sign of injury, and when his eyes scanned her fin, he froze in horror. It was splitting apart! She was becoming a human again.

Thinking fast, Kosrae swept her limp body up in his arms and sped toward the surface. He swam his fastest, but Etrela was still transforming. She wouldn't be able to breathe underwater very soon, and she couldn't hold her breath while unconscious.

Her human legs were almost complete now; any second now her lungs would fill with water and she would die.

They were just nearing the surface. "No, no! Etrela, hold your breath! Please, no!" He cried frantically. Why, oh why did we have to have our wedding in the valley? Her transformation was complete. She was fully human again.

Just as he thought he couldn't save her, they broke the surface of the water. Etrela was limp in his arms. Still carrying her, he headed for the nearest land, which was about a mile away. He swam on his back and held her head above the water. Now a few more heads popped up in the ocean. Some merfolk had followed Kosrae when he sped toward the surface so quickly. Nadin was among them. He swam alongside Kosrae, leaned close, and said in a low voice, "I know who did it." Kosrae looked at him with surprise. "Who? My father?"

Nadin was astonished that Kosrae would ever say such a thing. "No! The king didn't do it! Alivina did! She stole the Trident and zapped Etrela with it. She has a thing for you, Kosrae. And she hates Etrela because you love her!"

"That's nonsense. How could Alivina steal the Trident? How did she know how to use it?"

"I don't know, but you've got to believe me. I saw her behind the crowd with the trident in her hand. I know it was her, no question about it."

Kosrae felt a bit guilty that he had accused his father so quickly. But then again, who else had the Trident in their possession? I didn't know Alivina did.

They were nearing the beach. No one lived there, so it was safe to go close to shore. Kosrae didn't stop in the foot-deep water. He dragged himself on shore with one hand, and Etrela with the other. He laid her down gently on the sand and listened for a heartbeat. He heard a faint one, and that was good enough for him. "Oh, thank God! She's alive! She's alive!"

Etrela started coughing and sputtering. After she had stopped, she opened her eyes a bit. "Kosrae," she murmured. Kosrae felt relief flood over him. "Yes, I'm here. Are you all right?"

Etrela tried to sit up. "Yes, I think so." She looked around. "What happened? Why are we on land?" She looked around some more. When her eyes fell on her legs, she froze. "What? I'm a human again! No! I-I don't want to be a land person! I don't want to be alone again!" She looked at Kosrae, her eyes pleading. "The king can turn me back again, right? Please! I want to be a mermaid, with you!"

Kosrae pulled her close. Yes, his father could change her back. "Yes he can, probably. Don't worry. Everything will be fine." He called to Nadin. "Nadin, get my father right away! Make sure he brings the Trident!"

Nadin nodded and dived at once.

Kosrae kissed Etrela. "Soon now, we will have this all sorted out." He told her reassuringly.